Mighty Mite anchor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So it's not easier to just use something like a Mighty Mite and bend it back into shape after you pull off? The fluke rods aren't hard to reform.

So it's not easier to just use something like a Mighty Mite and bend it back into shape after you pull off? The fluke rods aren't hard to reform.

Much... of course you dive so loosing an anchor isn't that much of an issue with you. But I would never consider using anything but a hook anchor on a reef or wreck. As I said, I lost several danforths already and I dont intend to lose another.

If you go with a grappling hook, consider taking along a small 1 foot square piece of wood. This is what I use to bend it back in shape. I simply put the bent part on the wood then lean into it (the wood protects the deck). I tried using a pipe but the wood is easier as you use your weight and not your strength. Also with the pipe you still need to be careful not to mar your gelcoat so you end up having to hold everything.

I've used the bendable fluked anchors. If you have a pair of gloves on, you can bend the thing back into shape if you're not a girly man. A length of cheater pipe is good too - but then you have to stow a piece of rusty pipe. As I mentioned, I wouldn't trust the hook up much longer than the time to dive down and chain off for the dive.
The anchors pretty well if they're matched to the weight of the hull and the seas and wind are ok. Obviously, they don't fold and can be pains to store. Stainless steel sure beats the old rebar jobs too for rust mess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom