Mike Nelson and Sea Hunt inspires another

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T In one episode, Mike was using a re-breather. And while the device looked quite different that they do today, since I don't dive re-breathers and therefore don't know their history, I guess I thought they were a more recent innovation.

Rebreathers actually predate open circuit scuba and were used by military divers. However, early rebreathers used 100% oxygen so were limited to only 20 feet or so because of oxygen toxicity.

Rebreathers actually predate open circuit scuba and were used by military divers. However, early rebreathers used 100% oxygen so were limited to only 20 feet or so because of oxygen toxicity.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I may just have to do a little research on them even though I'm really not interested in diving rebreathers.

I actually did sit in front of the TV every week to watch Mike Nelson and I too was certified before I got my driver's license.

I'm thinking of forcing my newly certified girlfriend to watch some old episodes :wink: I made her sit through Dive to Danger and Beneath the 12 Mile Reef. She has also seen at least three movies where divers are attacked by a giant octopus.

I enjoyed the scene in Hot Shots Part Deux where Lloyd Bridges was scuba diving below a boat accompanied by the theme from Sea Hunt and narrating, wondering how they could pass below without being detected.

I am addicted to watching "Sea Hunt" (on DVR from "This TV ") as well as addicted to diving.
As I watch it now , I realize just how hokie the stories are, how much misinformation is displayed and how chincie the production values were.
Of course I will continue to watch.

As I watch an episode recorded the other night, I think of all the "no no's" good ole Mike Nelson does and the unexplainable.
He's in a closed room in a wreck. He has no light but has no problem seeing a small hatch to escape. The hatch is square he can get thru if he takes his tanks off, but can't get the tanks thru. But the diagonal of the hatch has ample room for his tanks
On the surface the divers immediately put their masks on their head (great way to loose the mask), then they swim on the surface with mask on forehead doing the crawl.

Yeah, I've seen episodes where he's inside a wreck without a light and it's very well lit inside. I've been inside tugboat wrecks that weren't but 20-25 feet wide window openings all along both sides and still had to use my light. I love the show, but some things in it are quite funny because they are so wrong.

As I watch an episode recorded the other night, I think of all the "no no's" good ole Mike Nelson does and the unexplainable.
He's in a closed room in a wreck. He has no light but has no problem seeing a small hatch to escape. The hatch is square he can get thru if he takes his tanks off, but can't get the tanks thru. But the diagonal of the hatch is plenty large enough for the tanks to slip thru too.
Divers on the surface always seem to swim with mask on forehead and arms swinging

As a pre school child, watched the shows on TV. Would make cardboard and string Scuba tanks. Other kids wanted to be cowboys and Indians. I wanted to be Mike Nelson. Try to wake up and watch reruns on a local channel at 3AM and have a few DVDs from Ollie's Dicount Store.
Yeah, it influenced me.

outstanding post !!! I own 3 complete sets of sea hunt vhs, dvd and blue ray , ALL my students watch it after coming to my facility (whether they want to or not ) just as a history lesson , the up coming ice diver course will be no different ....a millennium who never heard of sea hunt before now has a whole set and is now an instructor so he is STILL inspiring ........ps if you come to my facility and stay over youll cook your steak on the " The Mike Nelson Memorial BBQ "

Back
Top Bottom