Mike Nelson and Sea Hunt inspires another

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A question...
So many watched Sea Hunt on TV but did any one of you

Read or collect the Sea Hunt comic books ?

Read or collect the books on Sea Hunt :

A) SEA HUNT-based on the well known TV series starring Lloyd Bridges
by Cole Fannin, illustrated by Gerald Hannah, Hard back cover, 210 pages
Whitman Publishing company- ZIV United artist No ISBN or LCCC numbers
(a children's book on Sea Hunt - rather rare )

B) Mask and Flippers- the story of skin diving (as told to Bill Barada) Illustrated ,
Cornerstone Library New York, copyright 1960 by Lloyd Bridges and Bill Barada
Soft cover , 160 pages plus indexes, no ISBN Or LCCC numbers

C) Mask and Flippers- the story of skin diving (as told to Bill Barada) Illustrated and photographs ,
Chiton book company, Book division , Philadelphia and New York,(& simultaneously in Toronto Canada by Ambassador books, Ltd) copyright 1960 by Lloyd Bridges and Bill Barada
Hard cover , 196 pages LCCC # 60-14923

>>> Interesting that both Mask & Flipper books devote the first few pages to diving hand signals. The diving hand signals were developed in the early 1950s by Bob Retherford, published first as the NAA Sea Sabres Underwater Signaling system , then published in a national dive magazine Water World and incorporated in the 1954 LA Co UW dive manual "Underwater Recreation." (the worlds first Underwater (aka SCUBA) recreational manual ) Bill Barada (Aka Bill the Bac Rud A) and I were LA Co UW instructors and occasional dive buddies.

I published an article about Bob Retherford (aka Bob Bumblerford ) a LA Co UW instructor, a neighbor and a frequent diving companion about the development of the UW signaling system in the defunct National Magazine Discover Diving about 30 years ago which was republished in www.portagequarry.com Legends of diving " The Sea Sabres Signaling system."

It is interesting reading about the development and universal acceptance of the system by the
small pioneering diving world followed a few years later .by the US Navy and other diving agencies

There is a slight cool breeze blowing, the warm California sun is up and shining beckoning me amd my Tibetan terrier. "Lucky" for a walk along the beach..

TTYFN

Sam Miller, 111

yeah sam I have a lot of the comics and 3 of the books , have mike nelson marker float that clips on your belt (ill try to post ) still in the box , and the record on how to dive , (yeah record teaching diving ) of course his mask knife/ depth gauge etc all in the top of a cabinets in my small museum

sea hunt  1.JPG
sea hunt 2.JPG
here it is note the price tag of 5 dollars

I had lunch this winter in Nelson's restaurant in Palos Verdes. It's named after the Mike Nelson character and has a lot of Sea Hunt memoribilia. Fun visit for a trip down memory lane, and great view of the Pacific from the terrace, especially during whale season.

Attachments

• Nelson's.jpg
    Nelson's.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 170
I' watching season 3 episode 35.

sorry, I meant Youtube

Of course Lloyd Bridges wasn't really a diver and had to be trained by instructors prior to diving in the series by the likes of my friends Bob Meistrell and Zale Parry (his "co-star" in several episodes). Still, it was a fun series to watch back in the daze. I ought to revisit it today.

Bill, thanks for adding the personal perspective on the people involved in the shows.

As much as "I Like Mike" my earliest memories of a TV diver are of Diver Dan. Also available on YT.

Back
Top Bottom