Mike Riopel Memorial Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richie Kohler

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Mike Riopel Benefit
My pal Mike Riopel died this past Saturday during a dive from a charter boat off of Pompano Beach Fl. I have been in touch with his wife and friends of the family and was told he had made a 140 ft wreck dive early in the day with no problem. On a subsequent 60 ft reef dive he a signaled a buddy he was out of air, but before he could reach him Mike passed out. The buddy could hear the audible alarm from Mikes CCR going off. The buddy brought him immediately to the surface and CPR was started, but to no avail. The oxygen valve on his “Optima” rebreather was closed, and he may have never opened it prior to making the second dive.

I met Mike Riopel for the first time last year when he and his dive buddy “Buc” joined me for a wreck hunting expedition off the Georgia coast. A bear of a man, I gave him the nickname “Big Mike” so I would not confuse him from another Mike on the trip, Mike Pittman, (Pitt). We made a series of dives over the next four days and located the wreckage of a crashed military jet and along the way we became friends. The highlight of the trip was when Mike was exploring the wreckage of an 1800’s steamer and found a large, perfectly intact silver serving spoon with the name SS PECONIC engraved in the handle. A rare find, Mike was beaming that day! Mike joined me on a subsequent dive charters and we had stayed in touch since then.

Mike was a PADI OW instructor, had every specialty you could name and had recently gone through his CCR instructor training. Mike was passionate about diving and his enthusiasm and good nature was infectious. The dive community has lost a positive influence and a good friend.

Unfortunately Mike did not have any insurance and a benefit fund has been set up to help his family in meeting the funeral costs. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike Riopel Benefit Fund
Compass Bank
Mngr. Robert Reber
9550 San Jose Bv
Jacksonville, FL 32257
904-564-8188

The funeral is set for this Friday and I will post the details here as soon as I get them.

Thanks,
Georgia_Wreck_Diving_08_018-2.jpg

Georgia_Wreck_Diving_08_269-2.jpg

I personally only had one opportunity to meet Mike, but we spent a great week together in Georgia, and I was there that day when he found the spoon... Richie give us both some great pointers about how to position someone holding an artifact so as to get the best possible picture for a magazine or whatever else...
It was a great week... and I still have my chunk of the aircraft that Pitt originally bounced on.
Anyway, I’ve just been in touch with the Compass Bank, in case anyone wanted to make a contribution by bank transfer (as will be my case from Canada), and in addition to the bank’s name and address, here is some additional information that will be useful.
Transit number (or routing number) 063013924
Account number 72306848
Account name : Mike Riopel Benefit Fund
Contact at the bank : Robert on 904-564-8183
The account will apparently be active as of TOMORROW, i.e. Tuesday 18 March.

I didn't know him all that well, but he was certainly nice and open and willing to talk and explain things to someone who is quite a neophyte diver, by comparison.
It was a good week, I was pleased to have known him and I'm saddened to hear of his loss.
jp

I've been following the Accidents thread on the gentleman. The loss of your friend is certainly a sad one, and from some of the postings there, he sounds like he was a helluva a guy.

My warmest wishes to his family and friends.

Richie and JP, thank you for everything at this point. Mike has made an impact and left great memories with me and everybody that he knew, dove with and taught. I have began to receive e mails even from students that he has taught over the last few years that he has been an instructor. Attached is a pic from left to right of John Westbrook, Jim Simmons, Myself and Mike on the far right after a dive at the Spegal Grove when they came down to the keys 2 years ago to visit me for a weekend of diving. Thanks again Joe

For some reason I cant seem to past the picture here. I have it in my documents but the pic link here wants a url so I am not able to post it until I figure out how.

Joe

Strength to family and friends during these trying times. RIP Brother.

Please accept my deepest sympathy, my heart is with all the friends and family who must now say goodbye.
Peace,
Ber

I also met "Big Mike" on the expedition off the Georgia coast that Richie referred too. Although I only got to spend 4 days with Mike, I do consider him a friend. As with everyone on the expedition, Mike was very friendly, full of insight and always willing to help. I watched as Mike climbed back onboard after he found his Peconic treasure, I was completely unaware of what was behind that huge grin. He knew he had accomplished something special.

My condolences to all of his family and friends. Thank you for sharing Mike with the rest of us.

As he has with countless other people, Mike has left a lasting impression on me.
I have a few photos of that day that I would like to share. I hope that it is ok for me to do so.

Clay

Attachments

• IMG_0057.JPG
    IMG_0057.JPG
    372.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    389.5 KB · Views: 243
Michael will always remain in my memory as a typical "big brother". Always teasing me, intentionally embarassing me, tricking me into doing his work and yes......he loved to pass gas in my face as often as he needed a laugh (what could I do? He was well over 6 feet in mountainous mass) Theres no doubt that my brother could be intimidating. But as anyone who has ever had the pleasure of knowing him would be quick to tell you that Mike had a heart of gold and was quick to help a friend in need. Mike was always..ALWAYS thinking of ways to excel. And make money doing it. The ideas he came up with never ceased to impress me. He never gave up. When Mike set his mind on something, you could be sure that he'd pick it apart until it worked. Then he would move on to the next "plan". As far back as I can remenmer Michael had a passion for diving. It was in his nature. I can only say now that I am thankful, however tragic it is, that he died doing what he loved. Sadly, as many of us often do, I never understood my mixed feelings about my brother until after he was gone. Then, I was forced to examine them. I know now that my jealousy was a result of all that he had accomplished. He raised the bar too high for me ever to get close to. My dad was forever comparing me to Mike. My bitterness has been replaced with inspiration. I will always strive to accomplish my goals with my bro's eagerness. He was sincerely a one of a kind person who will be missed greatly by many. He will live inside my heart forever, however much it aches ....I know a part of him lives within me. I love you bro! ......"Whaaaaahooooo"

Your Sis...(and scapegoat)
Rennie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom