Mike Riopel Memorial Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I met Mike about 4 years ago hanging out at Meridian Divers..where he was an instructor. He became a good friend to me... as he did with most everyone he met

He was a man I respected and admired. He and Jimbo were my mentors and instructors. I was heartbroken when Joe called me with the news. It is a great loss for everyone both in and out of the Dive community...you can't replace a Mike Riopel. His enthusiam was contageous and he was always a pleasure to be around.

I was fortunate enough to cavern dive Paradise Springs with Mike, Buc, and Jim King just a couple weeks back. It was a great day. I am so Glad I had one more opportunity to dive with him... Mike, God Bless you and Your Family!

I will always remember Mike and the good times we shared with a smile on my face and tears in my heart... Mike, you will always be missed!!!

Sincerly,

Randy McDaniels

I like many other here only got a short time to know Mike "Big Mike" Riopel. I too met him on the 2007 Kohler Expeditions in Georgia. No matter how well Mike knew you, he would speak too you as if he had known you for years, thats just the kind of guy he was, as Richie put it, he is a great pal. I know when Mike boarded the diamond diver boat from diving in "Richies secret spot #23" on the peconic and had that silver spoon, he had a grin you could have seen 30 miles back on shore. My heart felt condolences go out to his wife and family, I could not begin to imagine losing someone that close too me. I will try to post some pictures below of "Big Mike" on the expeditions last year, these pictures were taken by some of the other divers on board and myself.

PIC_0119.jpg

PIC_0020.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

DSCN4821.jpg

Mike will be missed greatly in the diving community and by his diving buddies.

In Loving Memory of Mike Riopel August 10, 1955 - March 15, 2008

Mike Riopel, 52, of Jacksonville, Florida passed away this past Saturday in an unfortunate Scuba Diving accident in South Florida. Mike was loved by everybody he met. His love for being a scuba diving instructor and his passion for teaching and showing fellow divers our wonderful underwater world was enormous. Mike will be greatly missed by his family and friends and the world is a much better place because he was in it. He is survived by his wife, Lisa; sons, Jesse and Joseph Riopel of Merced, CA, Joshua and Michael Riopel of Panama City, FL, and Brock Riopel of Jacksonville; parents, Fred and Dee Riopel of Magalia, CA; stepdaughters, Scarlette and Summer White of Jacksonville, and Cassie Callaway of Panama City, FL; chosen son, Jeffrey McLarry of Jacksonville; sisters, Rione Landgraf of Magalia, CA, and Debra Salce of Mass.; grandchildren, Jesse, Jr., Lillian Rose and Kara Mae Riopel; dear friend, Louie Combs of Redding, CA. The family will receive friends this Thursday evening, March 20, 2008 between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m at Jacksonville Life Church, 7818 Phillips Hwy. A celebration of Mike’s life will be held in the church at 11 a.m. Friday, March 21, 2008 with Pastor Steve Wallace officiating. Interment will follow in Mandarin Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Mike Riopel Benefit Fund, c/o/ Compass Bank, 904-564-8183. Arrangements under the direction and are of ETERNITY FUNERAL HOME, 4856 Oakdale Ave.

I want to correct an error...It seems I was incorrect in saying he had a run up that way. I misunderstood him. He went there specifically for the dive. Sorry about that

Rione Riopel-Landgraf

My name is Marci Bowlen and I had the pleasure of meeting Mike Riopel about 8 year ago. Mike married my life long best friend Lisa Riopel and has been a wonderful husband to her and a wonderful father to her two children as well as his own children. I have a great respect for Mike and have enjoyed his hospitality and conversation on numerous trips to their home in Jacksonville. It saddens me greatly that I will not be able to make it there to say goodbye to such a wonderful man and be comfort for my best friend and their children. My future trips to Jacksonville will not be the same without spending time with Mike and hearing his latest diving stories. I was there the day he came home with the spoon and got to spend time talking to him about his adventure in the ocean. I will never forget the excitement in his voice and the sparkle in his eyes when he told this story. I think that may have been one of the happiest days of his life and I am very lucky to have witnessed it. I want to thank everyone from the diving world for all of their support for my best friend Lisa Riopel and their children. She has told me how very kind everyone has been and how much she appreciates all that has been done. Lisa and Mike had a great relationship that I have admired for years. I've never seen her as happy in her life as she has been these past 8 1/2 years with Mike. Although the past year has been a difficult year for Mike's business because of the economy Lisa and Mike have worked together to keep their head above water. I have watched them do whatever they have to do to pay the Bills and take care of their children in these trying times and never once have they fought about their finances. I know how bad Lisa will miss her wonderful husband and will appreciate his friends keeping him alive. For those who loved Mike "and I know there are many who did"; keep in touch with Lisa and the kids because she will feel all alone without her better half and it will help her to know a part of Mike will always be there.
If there will ever be anything that will always keep Mike's memory alive it is the ocean and all that is in it!
Mike Riopel your are,
Forever Loved
Always Remembered
Never Forgotten
The Indiana Girls will miss you

I am so very sorry for your loss. :sad:

Next Thursday, March 27th, is the monthly Happy Hour meeting at Meridian Divers. I was talking to Sally, and we want to have next Happy Hour in Mikes honor. So if anybody is able to come, it will be at Meridian Divers on Thursday from I think 5-7pm. Lol, I remember one happy hour I was at when Mike picked all the shrimp out of the gumbo, so I think gumbo will be on the menu!

Also, we will discuss doing a dive later in the summer in Mike's memory. Just getting a bunch of boats together and doing some offshore Jax dives seems like the best way to remember and honor such a great friend.

Please accept my families deepest condolences for your loss of such a great person. Our prayers go out to you and your family.

Sincerely Trevor, Jamie, and Cameren

My name is Teresa Britt I met Mike in Indiana many moons ago. I was one of his drivers and packers for his moving company. he was also a friend. i have some great storys about working with him. never a dull moment when Mike was on the Job. My heart goes out to his family & friends.he was a wounderful person & father he will be missed my his Indy friends. we love you Mike

I would like to thank every one for the pics, and for their support.

THANKS

Jesse Riopel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom