Mildly regretting a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Excluding accident based situations, has anyone regretted a dive they did?

I was thinking back, there's never been a dive where I'd wish I stayed on shore instead. Perhaps the closest was paying 110$ for a dive and discovering I could do it solo for 7$ the following day... which I did. That or I've missed an important phone call.

Cheers,
Cameron

I have regretted leaving the dock on occasion, but never regretted a dive. Hell, i never regretted calling a dive while I was still on the boat either.

Never regretted doing a dive....except the one where the Moray shredded my left index finger......(NO I did not stick my hand in a hole he came from the side and bit twice)........It was a shore dive and on Cayman and I went to the Dive Op (Sundivers,Olin Miller)asked for some duct tape taped my finger together and did a second dive.Jason from Ambassador was there and came out of the water behind me and followed the "red" line to the dive shop he thought someone spilled paint .......so I guess I really didn't regret the first dive.....disregard this post.:)

I don't think this comes under "accident" more like interaction with marine life...:popcorn:

Last edited:
Sure.. it was many years ago. But I had planed a particular dive with my regular buddy. Conditions were bad so we could not dive, but another diver I knew invited us to join in at another site. And a more advanced dive.

I felt up for the dive and my buddy agreed. The dive went ok, and I thought there were no issues. Post dive, my buddy looked a tad frazzled. .And he admitted to having been pretty spooked during the dive. Soon after, this buddy gave up diving.

I regret that I might have not given him enough of a "safe" option to veto the dive without "looking bad".

Many years later, I barely remember the dive. But still feel bad that I might have been responsible for him going past his comfort zone.

I never regretted a dive. I once have been really scared and hated what happened but I still didn't regret that I went diving.

Last edited:
Depends on your interpretation of "regret". If it means you wish you hadn't done the dive and/or would not do the same dive again - then yes!

The situation was a short, shallow, solo night dive to get a few lobsters on a reef 250 miles South of Tonga (Minerva Reef). The lobster I grabbed was expressing it's displeasure loudly. I didn't like the racket it was making because Minerva has many sharks. Sure enough, a shark bigger than me showed up within ten feet of me right on schedule. It was heading straight at me/lobster when the flashlight beam hit it. It did a 90 degree turn and I lost it. Couldn't get out of the water fast enough.

Sure I've regretted going out on a boat. I regretted the time I went out in Jupiter and, after having zero visibility had to head back in. I'm sorry for the time we headed out in Jupiter but could not get out of the inlet. I'm sorry for the time we headed out in Jupiter but bailed in moderately high seas because most of the divers were doing class or were beginners. There are a few more stories...

Only the first and only because I loved it so much that I ended up spending thousands of dollars on diving since then.

Only the boat ride where there were 4ft, maybe 5ft, waves, and I had to be hauled up onto the swim platform like a fish they just landed because it was so rough. This was after I'd fallen off the swim platform/top of the ladder it was so rough. I will never go out on the Great Lakes in such conditions again.

Didn't get seasick, though (I took my Bonine).

Back
Top Bottom