Millbrook Quarry: Recent Visits/Condition Reports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barnaby'sDad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone made it to Millbrook Quarry recently? Just curious what the visibility and temperature were like. I'm toying with the idea of going there Saturday morning. I'd like to get a dive or two in, but I'm not looking to drive all the way down to Phoenix this weekend.

Hello! I was there last Sunday finishing up some training.
Looking at pics I took of computer to show friend in Florida, on one dive:
Max temp was 79 degrees, minimum was 43 degrees
Max depth was 83ft.

It wasn't blackout conditions. I could see around without light at the bottom, moonlight style.

Also, I dropped a light probably around the platform. Orcatorch chinese cheapy kind of thing... if you find it... reward! It's the platform at the side opposite of the entrance if that makes sense! Green building side, which might only be for training I'm not sure.

Cool...thanks Ethan.:cheers:I know the platform that you're talking about. I'd like to just hit that (~30') and fin around for a bit. With the temperature below the thermocline...I doubt I'll be going down too deep.:wink:

I'll be diving wet. I've got a 3mm and 5mm. Heading there...I'm assuming that the 3mm won't be of use much past 20'.

The wonderful thing about diving Millbrook in the winter is there is no thermocline....

There used to be a website called crappydivesites.com, and Millbrook was the first entry. It has gotten worse, unfortunately.

Yeah...I’ve been there twice. Both times I left with the thought of...”I’ll have to be absolutely jonesing for a dive to go back.”

The most common reason I hear of people going to Millbrook is that it’s a LOT closer than Phoenix. It’s generally not because someone wants to go there.

There's a few recent reports (from the same guy) of the viz being OK on divebuddy.com. And while I really do want to start practicing in my drysuit, I'd rather do it where I can see.

DC Scuba group is going to Phoenix the weekend of September 20-22, FWIW.

Yeah...I saw his posts. That’s part of why I’m tempted to check it out just for s**** and giggles.

We’ll see...if I feel like more shakedown dives are in order (testing a new backplate)...I may see about running down to Phoenix next weekend.

3 mm in Millbrook?? You're a braver man than me! :cheers: I won't set foot in there without a 7 mm.

The great thing about Millbrook is its proximity to Northern VA residents. I plan on exploring it a little more this fall once my drysuit comes in. I hope to never dive it wet again...

Of interest to locals - I did hear that Juturna Springs got their zoning issues resolved and should be reopening in 2020. For us in NoVA thats a much better drive than Lake Phoenix (1 hour from my house for Juturna, 3 hours for Phoenix), and honestly that site once set up might have more potential. I went there twice before they shut down and I really enjoyed it. Everything was kind of sparse as they had just opened but the platforms and walkways that were in place already were well thought out and well built. Looking forward to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom