Minesweeper question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for an old navy type to answer a question. What do you call the room that the hatch leads to on the main deck. Seen in this pic on the starboard side. I came across the remnants of it on a recent dive but don't know what to call it.

nakayahatchway.jpg

Considering the rake of the funnel I would say standing amidship looking forward.

But I'm just a duma** Marine, so what do I know.

Quite a lot apparently :) It's looking forward from amidships. I found out it's called a breezeway. I found its remains in the port debris field of this video I shot of a wreck on Saturday (near the beginning of the underwater section) In the video you can see a small metal room with two openings, the hatch on the ground and the latches used to dog down one hatch.

YouTube - Nakaya 2010 final

cool video.......thanks for letting us see this........

This reminded me of my step grandfathers ship, the Ogalala......she was a mine layer. Just the opposite :cool2: of a mine sweeper, made of steel not wood............he was aboard her when she sank in Pearl Harbor 12/7/41.......he survived, stepping off the main deck as she went on her side.........I have a coffee cup and naval engraved spoon he somehow swept into his seabag off his tiny little desk as he was grabbing things in his quarters before abandoning ship. (he was senior chief petty officer in the engineroom) And his pocketwatch which was in his trousers pocket.

These old ships are amazing, too bad they are rusting or decaying away......

Muddiver.........Semper Fi!

oldMossback

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom