Mini rebreather in Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alo100

Reaction score
Does anybody knows about this:
I have seen a mini rebreather done in Japan in a documetary couple of years back, if anybody have more info about it, can you send me a pointer? A brief description. It's only for recreational purpose and it's good for 20 min or so. It looks like a over simplified close circuit, air gets in from one side and exhale to another side within a tube, then enter a can of scrubber and recycled, no extra tank for gas. The documentary is about a site in Japan for people to rent their recreational rebreathers and use it on site. Thanks!

Vie:

Thank you Vie, I have been search it for a long time!
At the beginning I was going to say, it looks similar, except I am not sure about the tiny metallic cylinders at the front, it has been couple of years back. Then I am sure that the ones I saw was in color, pink, yellow... you know typical Japanese scuba equipment. But then I saw this:

http://www.rebreathers.de/de/modelle/o2/ouba/ouba.php

ouba, eoba... I am sure it's just difference in translation.

There's was another Japanese rebreather, the Grand Bleu Fieno SCR. I saw one in the States years ago - I think it was at the "Mutant Materials in Contemporary Design" exhibition at MoMA, NYC, around 1995? Anyway, pictures below:

http://www.therebreathersite.nl/Presentatie2002/1990-2000/fieno.htm

The EOBA is not produced anymore. You may still find some new ones in some dive shops. Nippon Sanso cancelled production after a few years as the unit didn't sell as planned. You have more Japanese rebreathers than these; GEM and I think another one was called the FROG.

TJO:
You have more Japanese rebreathers than these; GEM and I think another one was called the FROG.

Do you have any additional info or pictures? I'd be very interested in seeing them.

I've heard of the Kawasaki Oxy GEM but those were not for underwater use.

No wonder. Not in production anymore, I was trying to find other designs made by the designer... there were only fragments...

But yes, thanks for Vie, EOBA is the one I wanted to find.

Also, I'm interested in seeing some others also....

To me, rebreather has so many things to take care of, so I can understand why recreational rebreather may not be something popular... still thank you for all the sharings, hope to see more in the future...

Back
Top Bottom