Mini Scuba Cylinder for practice in SoCal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No is the short answer.

The mini-diving cylinders are essentially useless. Since you're not certified yet, your only option for filling is with the hand-pump. And it requires hundreds of pumps for a couple minutes of a shallow dive. If you want to exhaust yourself that much on barely "diving" you're nuts. Next, any tank that small almost useless as a redundant air source in a real dive. 13cu will typically be enough to prevent drowning, but with some decompression sickness risk. Generally, 19cu is a fairly safe bet for a redundant air-source. You'll end up wishing you spent your money on something else, and yes, I have a 3cu spare-air that's collecting dust, and only used a couple times.

Whatever practice you think you're getting in a pool won't translate well to diving in full scuba equipment. There are also dangers involved that you may not be ready for.

My advice is to be patient and wait until you finish your class. Then buy a full sized tank, and possibly some actual scuba equipment.

I'm happy that you're excited to go diving, and wish for you to retain that enthusiasm, so don't take my strong "no" the wrong way. You did the right thing by asking here before going off and buying equipment, or doing something a little silly or dangerous.

For this guy and his little bottle I would say

full.jpg

But for me and any other capable kids

full.jpg

I used to extend my snorkelling with a small compressor pumped steel US Divers bottle here

full.jpg

Exactly the same yellow bottle with a pillar valve as this one but not this one

It's almost fifty years since the days of yore I might just go back with this one

full.jpg

Pier's still here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom