Mini season takes its toll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see no reason to cancel mini-season. When you think of the huge numbers of people out there, the number of deaths is pretty small. These same people would die if they went out on the first day of regular season.

Agreed.

Did anyone have much luck in Broward? I got enough both days to be happy, but nowhere near my limit...last year and this year were very disappointing.

Perhaps on nitrox your BT could have been longer allowing you to catch more :rofl3:

And eliminating mini-season would help this yahoo and other like him just HOW? :popcorn:

Because the link is very slow in opening, here is the text.
Diver Sickened During Lobster Mini-Season

PALMETTO BAY (CBS4) ― The lobster mini-season continues to take a toll on divers looking for a catch. 41-year-old Manuel Garay was diving off Islamorada when he tried to surface too quickly and came down with a case of caisson disease.

Caisson is also known as "the bends" or decompression sickness. Garay was not using any protective diving gear such as an oxygen tank, goggles, or any other equipment.

"I was running out of air and I just shoot up quickly and I continue to do it over and over and over," Garay said of how his problem started.

He didn't initially know he had a problem until a few days after the dive when he began to complain of a feeling of paralysis.

He was taken to the hospital and then transferred him to Pembroke where they have a hyperbaric chamber.

Garay spent much of the day in the chamber, but was scheduled to be released from the hospital tomorrow. "The heaviness I had since last night and this morning when they brought me to the hospital it's gone," Garay said.

Family members say he will probably not be paralyzed after the illness. Still, doctors still say divers need to beware of the potentially fatal illness.

"Decompression illness has to do with coming up too fast and you actually develop air bubbles in your bloodstream... Those air bubbles can then go to your brain and cause a weakness or a neurologic illness," said Dr. Blane Shatkin.

Manuel said he's been quite humbled by the experience. "Respect the ocean and don't abuse the macho man feeling cuz what i did was wrong," Garay said.
(© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

HUH? This makes NO sense.
Garay was not using any protective diving gear such as an oxygen tank, goggles, or any other equipment.

Anyway, this guy is real lucky he isn't a Darwin Award winner. Legislation can't protect this guy from himself.

Debby & Brain,:popcorn:
Don’t you guys feel it is bit of a marketing ploy? :coffee: Over sensationalized ? It like ringing the ding dong bell. Lol:wink:

Last week and again today I had a park rental boat try and tie up to my float line because they thought it was a mooring ball.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hello,

I would like to take this opportunity to point out the fact that idiots will be idiots regardless of circumstance, weather it happens to be a sport diver out for a couple days of mini season or a commercial fisherman out every day.

A couple weeks ago a commercial fishing vessel came to a floatline and ball I had dropped (it was attached via spear to a black grouper). Never minded the extra 110' of bright orange line floating next to the vinyl ball, never minded the EXTRA LARGE (3'x4') dive flag on a high flyer less than 300' away, and never minded me on the surface dragging a similar vinyl ball and 110' of floatine.

The commercial vessel retrieved the my ball with a boat hook and proceeded pulling on the thing because it would not come up (they had no idea what they were even pulling on). After some yelling and waving my speargun in the air for them to stop pulling on the line a dive boat pulls up out of nowhere (???) thinking I'm in distress.

The commercial fishing boat flees the scene, but not soon enough because my new dive boat buddies are able to get their numbers.

After an investigation, which has included speaking to the captain of the commercial fishing vessel personally, I can say with great certainty the entire incident happened out of ignorance.

My point...idiots will be idiots regardless of circumstance, weather it happens to be a sport diver out for a couple days of mini season or a commercial fisherman out every day.

:cheers: Regards,
Chris

cbs4.com - Diver Sickened During Lobster Mini-Season

:shakehead: this is why:popcorn: read this:

"I was running out of air and I just shoot up quickly and I continue to do it over and over and over," Garay said of how his problem started.

WELL HELLO ..... LOL :dork2:

That's what free diving is, stay down, go up when you need a breath. There is no way he could have the bends without breathing compressed air. That's a retarded reporter.

Exactly; look at what I put in bold red letters.

That's what free diving is, stay down, go up when you need a breath. There is no way he could have the bends without breathing compressed air. That's a retarded reporter.
While DCS in freedivers is not common, it does occur and has been well documented.

The reporter is not so retarded as you might think, nor is the hyperbaric chamber staff that treated him.

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a756810579~db=all~order=page
the above article:
We report some 90 cases in which DCS occurred after repetitive breath-hold dives.

http://www.scuba-doc.com/breathhold.html

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom