Mini season, why the bad PR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ana

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Florida has over 1300 miles of coastline, why do so many Floridians get pissy when mini-season is mentioned?

I fully understand if you reside in the Keys, but let's face it, Keys residents are a special breed. Why would a regular diver anywhere else in the state have a negative reaction to the mini-season.

It falls in the middle of the week so is not like it would disturb your weekend plans. How is mini season different for anyone that dives off a charter regularly ? Or for anyone that shore dives?
Usually there's accidents maybe even fatalities, but people get hurt diving on any given day. A diver accident/death from boat X or shore Y won't affect some other diver on another boat or shore section.

Again excluding the Keys, there's no more traffic those 2 days, is no where close to spring break in many, many, many areas of the state. Dive shops may see a bit more business but that's about it.

I look forward to it, that's why I ask. I experience ZERO inconveniences those 2 days, if any thing is easier than fireworks the 4th of July or the Air Show, because for those events the inlets clog up at the end of the show so it is better to hangout for an hour or so before coming in.

The only thing we do different during a mini season outing, is planning for more dives than a regular Saturday or Sunday, but the plan only get executed if seas are good.

I'm seriously curious, is it just cool to say I stay away of the water for mini season; or is there a reason

My only concern for mini season is the Keys, so usually avoid them for that week. Living on the Atlantic side there is no difference and actually it gets busier during snow bird season or spring break lol.

Reactions: Ana
I do most of my diving in Boynton Beach, Jupiter, and West Palm. Even with extra trips, your favorite boats may be sold out in advance for the two days of mini season.

I shore/beach dive every mini season and the only difference i notice is the amount of FWC checking lobster size...so remember to check your size....(smile).

My only concern about mini season in the Keys is being there; I'll be staying at Bahia Honda State Park again this year. :D
Actually though it is an annual event that motivates plenty of yahoos and unprepared folks to get in the water, and something bad will certainly happen to someone, as it always does this time of year. Usually there will be an older or out of shape diver or two who has a heart attack, but at least they die happy, doing what they enjoy.

There is a massive push on to stop poaching here. I was at the Navy ramp today and they have NOAA LE officers from as far away as Virginia. They were launching 3 RHIBS, big ones with too many engines. NPS has 2 LE boats out at Dry Tortugas, and will be sponsoring FWC officers there to patrol the Tortugas Ecological Reserve-North and South. Monroe County Sheriff's Office will have every boat operating as well as a number of patrol PWCs. FWC is bringing boats and grouper troopers in from all over the state to conduct road blocks leaving the keys.

If you're coming to poach, chances are you will be caught.

I haven't noticed much angst towards mini-season outside of the Keys. Too may Captain Morgans and Ensign Budweisers out there for me. I'll do something safe like solo dive on my rebreather in a cave somewhere with malfunctioning O2 sensors.

There is a massive push on to stop poaching here. I was at the Navy ramp today and they have NOAA LE officers from as far away as Virginia. They were launching 3 RHIBS, big ones with too many engines. NPS has 2 LE boats out at Dry Tortugas, and will be sponsoring FWC officers there to patrol the Tortugas Ecological Reserve-North and South. Monroe County Sheriff's Office will have every boat operating as well as a number of patrol PWCs. FWC is bringing boats and grouper troopers in from all over the state to conduct road blocks leaving the keys.

If you're coming to poach, chances are you will be caught.
Glad to hear, thanks Frank

My only concern about mini season in the Keys is being there; I'll be staying at Bahia Honda State Park again this year. :D
Actually though it is an annual event that motivates plenty of yahoos and unprepared folks to get in the water, and something bad will certainly happen to someone, as it always does this time of year. Usually there will be an older or out of shape diver or two who has a heart attack, but at least they die happy, doing what they enjoy.

Ok... Can't argue about the yahoos.

But yahoos are here to stay, they blow their limbs with fireworks and do all kind of stupid stuff whenever they have a chance.

I still enjoy fireworks, and get very involved in New Year's celebrations.
I even like to participate in the Pamplona's running of the bulls when I visit my hometown which is nextdoor. There's way many more yahoos there, but it doesn't affect the locals, so why would it be any different here during mini season.

I guess that's more evidence that we're all different.

Now I do understand the Keys become a zoo, I wouldn't go anywhere close to the Key's.
Other that that, I look very much forward to this coming Wednesday and Thursday, don't have any special locations for this year so chances are that I won't get a full bag. I'll pack the boat with lots of drinks and munchies, do my dives and have cocktails at the end of the day to celebrate whatever we got o didn't get. I bet it will be better than going to work or sitting at home.
Plus years from now when I get so old that I can't dive maybe I'll remember these days and smile.... Or maybe I'm one of those yahoos too and I don't realize it???
wish me luck.

There is a massive push on to stop poaching here. I was at the Navy ramp today and they have NOAA LE officers from as far away as Virginia. They were launching 3 RHIBS, big ones with too many engines.....

I wish it was similar up here. We witnessed some shenanigans last year the weekend before mini season, and call local LE but who knows how many got away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom