Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

АлександрД

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When I started to go for training in the pool (I use метро - subway train, "tube" transport, not personal car), I was too lazy to carry heavy bag with eqipment. And I starts to minimize my diving eqipment.

First idea had begun, when I goes from back to sidemount. I decide - If I can swim with BCD in my hands, why I can not swim just with tank in hands... Once tested without BCD, I`d just connected regulator to the tank and go dive in our training pool (it has 6m (18ft) depth). But All time it was unconvienient to hold the tank in hands, and I had idea to make something very simple, to attach tank to the body.
There was such harness:
i-559.jpg

i-553.jpg

i-567.jpg

all connections here was detachable.
in total I got such set for harness:
i-565.jpg

I understood, that lungs is possible bouyancy compensator, but using just lungs is not too much comfortable, and I had made following compensator:
i-563.jpg

It is just inflatable pillow , with attached pipe, and oral inflation valve from diving buoy
I used this pillow to wear it under diving suit. For first time I weared it on the back side.
h-597.jpg

Also I`d assembled minimal regulator
i-564.jpg

It was possible to dive with this full set, but not very comfortable, and it had to be changed in the future...
h-620.jpg

(future improvements in next messages...)

later I added crotch strap
i-570.jpg
i-661.jpg

tested many different ways to attach tanks to harness, and understood - it is not the best, and had to be changed.
Final view of my first attempt set:
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

next changes was like this:
s-1208.JPG

All parts of harness was assembled together. Added "Armadillo sidemount style" ropes to the bungee (for easy pulling)
also regulator was lightweighted
a.JPG

than was idea to made Bogaerts style sidemount
s-1219.JPG

and with mistakes in drawing it was made too small :) later I gave it for my friend daughter compensator.
(to be continued...)

Last edited:
Wow that is so cool... I love seeing the variations!

than I made really good sidemount compensator
b1.JPG b2.JPG b3.JPG
but it was already "not minimal" harness.

Than I using Bogaerts style harness made another lightweight verstion of harness:
i-2636.jpg

i-2633.jpg

i-2634.jpg
i-2635.jpg

i-2637.jpg

(weight here is not in pounds :) it is kilogramms :) equal to 4.23 lbs)
more detailed tank harness:
s-2638.JPG

All this straps was sewed together in 4-5 strokes of dyneema braided fishing line :) I think it will be just testing harnes... but it was alive more than one year! :) late I will need for some parts, and disassembled it.
It was very comfortable, but... not ideal :)

(to be continued...)

Last edited:
At final (I still use it without changes) I made such harness:
s-2761.JPG

s-2762.JPG

s-2766.JPG

s-2764.JPG

s-2763.JPG

s-2765.JPG

it was tighdly sewed by Dyneema.
It has just one adjustment point: between crotch strap and belt. It is enough for any "body weight changes" adjustments :)
more pictures and details you can find in my original topic on another forum (use translator please)

later I`d added selfmade inflator control pult to my pillow compensator:
i-2759.jpg

how it made? look:
c1.jpg c2.jpg c3.jpg c4.jpg c5.jpg

And I still using this equipment for normal diving :)
h-4053.jpg

Compensator now I putting in front (it is more comfortable and convienient) under wetsuit.
Straps used from different sources, mostly from car safety belts.
Buckles - some plastic from tourist shops and from OMER equipment. Plastic D-rings from Inspiration rebreather harness, pockets - I bought somewere (like craiglist).
Metal buckles - mostly was ordered from laser cutting manufacture. It was very cheap here, around 5$ for one detail in MOQ over 20 pcs. (we arranged колхоз (like mass buying team of divers))

questions? :)

Last edited:
Can you streamline that?

Last edited:
Very creative! I bet if feels great to dive something you made like that, just to fit you, and so lightweight! It is very satisfying to make your own... look how much a sidemount BC costs, and they are heavy on the bus! Very clever Alexander.

...//... minimize my diving eqipment. ...
Have you looked at 'monkey diving'? (no insult, it is a real thing) I think you will enjoy reading the results.

Type monkey diving into SB's search and you will come up with nothing. Next go to Google and type in scubaboard monkey diving.

The endless bots that raid this site for information and catalog it is mind-blowing.

Yes, sure I know about MonkeyDiving, but it too sophisticaded in compare my option :)
MonkeyDiving require backplate, scooter (DPV), no BCD, etc.
My offer is much more lightweight, but same time normal equipment for standard (but sidemount) diving.
Just one thing for safety - in open water I have spare BCD camera - sausage buoy in the pocket. :)
In such diving style you have to have big buoy or liftbag with you in the open water diving.

Back
Top Bottom