Minimal equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmmbelows

Contributor
Reaction score
Planning a trip to Thailand for 30 days, with 3 weeks of land based touring and the last week diving, possibly a liveaboard 4 days and land based diving the rest. We travel extremely light, so dragging dive equipment around for 3 weeks just to use it the last week isn't an option. Is it possible to do a liveaboard showing up with just a mask and dive computer?

Most have a full set of rental gear available. Check with the liveaboard operator.

Most have a full set of rental gear available. Check with the liveaboard operator.

Agreed. I did a short liveaboard from Phuket in 2010. I had no gear at all; all was provided by the outfit. I don't recall if the gear went with me out to the liveaboard or was already onboard, but if you don't mind using the rental gear, you shouldn't have an issue. Note: a computer was not provided.

And rental wetsuits are scarce...and often just shorties.

BTW, my method is dive then land travel. I do that because it's a lot easier to get sick from the people you are exposed to while traveling besides likely getting less rest in unfamiliar places. I can control my exposure to others and stay healthy while at home but once I start traveling and around lots of people, it's easier to get sick. It only takes a plugged nose to prevent you diving in the wonderful place you paid all that money to go to. An obviously sick woman came over to me on the plane to Fiji and stuck her face in mine to ask me a question. The wife said she knew I was immediately screwed. 3 days later I was sick for 5 days of the trip. I've been a little paranoid since then. Hope you don't have that problem. :)

If you're considering the Thailand Aggressor you can rent Aqualung gear on-board.
RENTAL DIVE EQUIPMENT
A full line of Aqua Lung rental gear is available aboard including regulators, BCD s, dive computers, and night lights.
If any of your dive equipment fails while onboard, thecrew will loan you equipment free of charge , compliments of Aqua Lung

http://www.aggressor.com/upload/TAKBYG.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom