Minimum temperature to run compressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have electricity.

I’ve never used an engine block heater before. There’s no freeze plugs or coolant to use a heater with. I don’t want to use the glue-on type. The magnetic type could work, and are thermostatically protected, which is nice. I also saw an electric blanket type, which got me thinking. I recently bought a 100w heating pad that goes to 60C (and it does: the highest setting is too hot!). That could be good for some direct heat on the compressor, too! And, of course, I’ve got several propane and electric heaters for general space heating...

(And this was never about *keeping* it hot; just like your car in winter, once it starts running, it’ll *stay* running nice and warm... It’s starting it while minimizing the damage that’s the challenge.)

Mine is technically one of those cheap stick-on silicone heating pads but the magnetic block heaters should work and that's where I got the idea from. I have mine installed on the crankcase right above the oil drain. I should probably get a larger one but this seems to warm it up enough if I leave it on for a few hours.

Like you said only run it initially to warm up oil / compressor and make sure the drains aren't frozen before I turn it on. Works great for me.

IMG_20201221_085333156.jpg

I remember a sticker on a Bauer K14 that specified 3 different types of oil, each for a specific temperature range. But the lowest ist 5°C, and the manual suggests pre-heating if temp is lower.

So having thick oil for warm weather on a cold day without pre-heating might be the worst combination.

The filtermedia have a temp range as well (5 – 45°C min), so that might be an additional consideration..

The filtermedia have a temp range as well (5 – 45°C min), so that might be an additional consideration..

That’s an excellent point! I imagine you’ll need a longer dwell time when the media is cold... (Fortunately, I’ve got 2 x 32” stacks for a 6CFM compressor.)

There seems to be a strong consensus on that 5C number , and for several reasons. I still don’t think I’ll obsess about 4C vs. 5C, but it’s also not that hard to raise the temperature by a couple of degrees... But that reinforces my thoughts that I want at least high 30’s to run the compressor. And now to also fire up a space heater for an hour before.

To reiterate what others said, multiple sources have told me 40F over the years. Thankfully my garage is rarely much below that, I just point a space heater at mine for an hour beforehand in winter.

Well, this is one problem we will never have in Australia as I doubt anyone has a dive compressor in any location here where the air temperature does not get over 5C every day of the year. Our problem is more like it being too hot to run the compressor. We have already had two days over 40C in Sydney this summer.

Well, this is one problem we will never have in Australia as I doubt anyone has a dive compressor in any location here where the air temperature does not get over 5C every day of the year. Our problem is more like it being too hot to run the compressor. We have already had two days over 40C in Sydney this summer.
yeah same over here in WA ,i usually run my compressor early in the morning as it stays nearly 30 degrees Celsius to midnight, fortunately my neighbors are fine with it ( with the occasional crayfish given to them as a sweetener )

Even in the Frozen Tundra, we can usually make it work. It was 42F today and 65% humidity, so I ran my compressor for an hour. Piece of cake! :)

We'll see how mid-February works out... :) But usually mid-January is the nadir of average temperature.

I live in NY so during the winter I do several things. 1 I disconnect the out side air tubing, air is drawn from inside the garage which is warmer than outside air 2. I have a clip on light that painters use, I put it at the bottom of my compressor where the oil is and leave it on over night. Next day the compressor is warm to the touch. 3. I run the compressor for as long as I can, no need filling a few bottles, I will fill the banks and as many bottles as I can. 4. I run the compressor into an near empty tank for the first few minutes this way it is running at lower pressures until it has warmed up. I run my compressor once a week. I also do not switch to lighter oil, once the compressor is running for 15 minutes it is warm enough. Right or wrong I have been doing this for over 1,000 hours with no problems.

I would recommend leaving the outside air hooked up. The garage may be warmer, but melting snow adds humidity. And garage fumes are generally nastier than outside air. -10° air at 100% humidity is still drier that most any warm air. Here in AZ we can have summer humidity levels down in the low single digits, but the dew point is still in the 20s maybe 30s.

As for heat, diesel engines still run in freezing weather. Once the air starts compressing, there will be heat. You may have 1000 hours doing it your way, but that doesn't make it the best way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom