"Miracle" Ice Rescue Survivor Wants to Become Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BladesRobinson

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
FLORIDA / LAT 27°39.133' / LON 080°22.261' / ICW M
FROM: "Miracle" Ice Rescue Survivor Wants to Become Rescue Diver - WBAY-TV Green Bay-Fox Cities-Northeast Wisconsin News

This is just another example where public safety dive operations in the "rescue mode" have a positive outcome! Kudos to Connie Loewe, the Stockbridge Volunteer Fire Department dive team and others who facilitated in the rescue...

"Miracle" Ice Rescue Survivor Wants to Become Rescue Diver
Updated: Feb 10, 2012 10:08 AM EST<em class="wnDate">Friday, February 10, 2012 10:08 AM EST</em>

By Taky Ono

A 10-year-old girl who's gone through so much in her short life is taking on an unthinkable challenge.

During the 2009 opening weekend of sturgeon spearing season, a pick-up truck broke through an ice crack on Lake Winnebago.
Three years later, the only survivor continues her amazing recovery by pursuing a dream.
Walking through the doors at Green Bay Scuba, Tiffany Dombrowski is about to prove once again she's no ordinary little girl.
"You're smiling from ear to ear," Connie Loewe said.
"I'm excited," Tiffany said in a soft, stilted voice.
On Valentine's Day, 2009, Tiffany almost died. She stopped breathing for 30 minutes after the pick-up truck she was in hit an ice crack while driving on the frozen Lake Winnebago and sank into the icy waters.
Also in the truck were Tiffany's best friend, nine-year-old Savannah Kleinhans, and Savannah's dad, Dan Kleinhans, who both drowned.
Rescued by divers, Tiffany remained in a coma, her fate uncertain.
"Tiffany's father confided in me they were so close that he was afraid maybe Tiffany would leave because she wants to be with Savannah" Savannah's mom, Justine Katze, said.
But Tiffany didn't leave, and three years later, while recovering from her brain injury, she's learning to scuba dive for the first time.
So she can become a rescue diver and one day save someone like Savannah.
"Are you ready for this?" Connie asks pool-side.
"Mm-hmm," Tiffany says.
"If that's her motivation," Katze said, "then it just warms my heart."
"To hear that she even wants to give this is a shot is just a real credit to her," Savannah's brother, Jason Presto, said.
Tiffany's other inspiration is her dive teacher, Connie Loewe. With the Stockbridge Volunteer Fire Department, she was one of the first responders who saved Tiffany's life that cold February day.
They've stayed in touch ever since. They've made it a point to see each other often, getting together for holidays like Christmas.
"I wanted to be somebody like Connie," Tiffany says.
"It makes me feel great. It just makes everything I do worthwhile," Loewe said.
Once in the water, Tiffany is fearless even after all she's been through.
"I don't even think about it. It doesn't bother me any more," she says.
After some basic training, it's time for Tiffany to see what it's like to breathe underwater.
"No matter how much bad happens," Loewe said, "there's so much good that comes out of it."
"What do you think?" she asks Tiffany.
"I like it," Tiffany exclaims.
Loewe says many obstacles lie ahead before Tiffany can become a certified diver.
"She's got a lot to still work on, so it's not like she has just overcome everything," she said.
But that long road is now a little shorter, with Tiffany's sheer determination and the support of those who care for her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom