Mirrored Lens fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveBF

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Crazy question but I recently replaced my old mask and got a Scubapro Spectra Mask with tinted mirrored lenses. The mask came with a warning not to clean it with abrasives or use chemicals on it. I assumed that the residual material left on the lens as part of the manufacturing process must be removed, however I dove with the mask this weekend and it fogged like crazy no matter how much de-fog I used.

So... if I can't use an abrasive like mask scrub, softsoap or toothpaste how do I remove the residue to keep it from fogging... I thought about using a lighter but then though the heat might also damage the coating? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Steve

The mirror finish should be on the outside I would think and cleaning the inside should not be an issue. Strange that the warning does not say what side. Maybe someone with a SP Spectra will chime in or even a Rep of SP and clarify the warning.

diluted baby shampoo in a spray bottle?

No... The coating is on the inside.... Baby shampoo? I use it as defog but will it clean the residue too?

sorry, i meant to use it as defog only, didn't think a cleaner would be needed if it worked as a defogger. i have a spectra with clear lens, and baby shampoo works great as a defogger and haven't needed to clean it with an abrasive.

If the tinted coating is on the inside then I would think that a lot of baby shampoo\dish liquid and elbow grease is in order. Strange because I would think that they would need to clean the film off before coating the glass.

I thought the same thing... that the lenses would be clean... baby shampoo has always worked as a great de-fogger for me but it didn't work at all. Love the mask though... it's incredibly comfortable ... doesn't leak a bit and I have a mustache!! If I can just get the lenses clean I'll be in business!!

---------- Post added September 30th, 2013 at 05:39 PM ----------

I finally emailed a Scubapro tech rep... time and water will take care of it... guess I'll just have to dive more!

Really? Good to know and would have been nice to have that with the warning huh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

I have 2 of the mirrored scubapro spectra masks and love them for fitment and cool mirrored lens...:D

I cleaned both of mine with toothpaste and had no problem with it.. I also used liquid dish soap, simple green and a few other items without causing any issues..

Raj

Yeah... I did AOW this weekend and the digging was a nuisance. The LDS owner suggested trying some non abrasive toothpaste... I used a little aqua fresh (didn't seem gritty to me) and it did help some

Back
Top Bottom