Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After 48 days he has been found and will be brought home to family.

I am so thankful, I have been checking the facebook page every day. I only did 2 dives to aid in the search... and I feel a lot of guilt that I couldn't do more. I feel guilt because even on those dives, when I got back on the boat there was a sense of relief that I wasn't the one that found him. Don't get me wrong... I really wanted him found before this, and would jump back in the water again to go look, but at the same time I don't know what kind of state my own mental health would be in with having 2 little ones at home. I have always wanted to learn the logistics of search and recovery, but with the reality of having to recover kids?? Well I don't think it is the path for me.

So to the divers that put in a lot more hours than I did, going through the hope of maybe this is the dive where he will be found, and the letdown when it wasn't... and especially the ones that found/aided in recovery - thank you. Thank you for giving this family closure. And please, take care of your own health, reach out for help if you need it. We can only imagine what you have seen and gone through to bring peace to someone else. You are in my thoughts.

Me too, the perseverance of family and helpers paid off.

I only did 2 dives to aid in the search... and I feel a lot of guilt that I couldn't do more. I feel guilt because even on those dives, when I got back on the boat there was a sense of relief that I wasn't the one that found him.

No need to feel guilty for those feelings. I think they are natural. In my profession I saw a lot of dead people. I dissected a cadaver, did a few autopsies, saw people die, saw death almost daily during some years. However, seeing people who died of severe trauma, looking for bodies in the water or in remote areas and not knowing what to expect are for me more powerful and very anxiety producing, and I have had the same feeling of hoping to not be the one who makes the discovery. I mean really, does anyone enjoy those finds or is not affected by them?
Lose the guilt.

After 48 days he has been found and will be brought home to family.

I am so thankful, I have been checking the facebook page every day. I only did 2 dives to aid in the search... and I feel a lot of guilt that I couldn't do more. I feel guilt because even on those dives, when I got back on the boat there was a sense of relief that I wasn't the one that found him. Don't get me wrong... I really wanted him found before this, and would jump back in the water again to go look, but at the same time I don't know what kind of state my own mental health would be in with having 2 little ones at home. I have always wanted to learn the logistics of search and recovery, but with the reality of having to recover kids?? Well I don't think it is the path for me.

So to the divers that put in a lot more hours than I did, going through the hope of maybe this is the dive where he will be found, and the letdown when it wasn't... and especially the ones that found/aided in recovery - thank you. Thank you for giving this family closure. And please, take care of your own health, reach out for help if you need it. We can only imagine what you have seen and gone through to bring peace to someone else. You are in my thoughts.

I think you did a very brave thing showing up and helping a family in need, very brave and kind act.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom