Missing diver found dead during Florida lobster mini season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been on a dive boat nor even a liveaboard that had a fins on ladder.

Uncommon but nice to find...

ladder_bifold_2.jpg

Very common here on the Great Lakes. Nice not having to get your fins off when you’re in a drysuit with thick thermals under, which can restrict mobility. I’ve been told they’re at least somewhat common on NE US boats, but I don’t know how true that is. One of those location dependent things.

My understanding is the current was ripping in some areas for mini season. @Johnoly could confirm. An extra ten pounds of ballast makes sense, so I'd hold the fat jokes for now.

Handing fins up is not uncommon on private boats, even with an open ladder and especially with freediving fins. If you've never done any private boat diving you just wouldn't understand some layouts. Most boats I dive from have a bracket and there's not a whole lot of room on the stern with a couple outboards next to you. 18-24 inches.

The torn inflator certainly is a cause for concern in analyzing what happened here. Could have been medical. He could have slipped, got the inflator caught on something, it ripped and he dropped like a rock. Reg loose, his ears crushing in the commotion and before he had a chance it was too late.

Everyone is a super bad ass diver, until they ain't. One simple mistake can cost you your life.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

There has been a small thread cleanup with certain items moved that are quite off topic for this A&I thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom