missing screw for INON strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maractwin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got an INON D-180 strobe, though I believe that the same part is used on their other strobes as well. On the end of the fiber optic cable that attaches to the strobe, there's a tiny screw which holds the connector together. My screw worked loose and fell out during a dive.

Anyone know where to get a replacement? It appears that INON only sells a replacement fiber optic assembly for $35 when I only need the tiny screw. I can't find a specification for the size of the screw to look for it from other sources.

I've got a dive this weekend, and may try duct tape to hold the cable together.

-Mark

How about taking it to a camera repair shop, they can get you a screw.

dlndavid:
How about taking it to a camera repair shop, they can get you a screw.

Maybe, the screw needs to be at least SS and really should be marine grade SS. I kind of doubt standard camera screws are SS, most likely just zink plated.

ReyeR:
The screw is an M2 (metric, size 2), about 3mm long. You might be able to source it from a good stainless steel fastener shop. Look for marine grade screws.

The same thing happened to my buddy. I managed to source an M2 x 10mm. I just cut the length down to size and it's all fine now.

This is a thread on dd.net by someone with the same problem: http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=12584;start=0

There should have been a spare one in your box when you bought the cable, as this is a known issue.

I am moving right now, if you aren't in a huge time crunch, pm me your details and I'll come up w/ one for you.

herman:
Maybe, the screw needs to be at least SS and really should be marine grade SS. I kind of doubt standard camera screws are SS, most likely just zink plated.
Nobody said anything about a standard camera screw, and just what is "marine" grade SST? 316? or is 18-8 sufficient? Anyway it looks like maractwin, has gotten the information he needs.

maractwin:
I've got an INON D-180 strobe, though I believe that the same part is used on their other strobes as well. On the end of the fiber optic cable that attaches to the strobe, there's a tiny screw which holds the connector together. My screw worked loose and fell out during a dive.

Anyone know where to get a replacement? It appears that INON only sells a replacement fiber optic assembly for $35 when I only need the tiny screw. I can't find a specification for the size of the screw to look for it from other sources.

I've got a dive this weekend, and may try duct tape to hold the cable together.

-Mark

Local hardware store or Home Depot.

Stainless steel is good enough, you don't need some *name* applied to it.

If you can NOT find one that meets your needs after checking a few hardware stores, then order one from a speciality shop like Ryan is at.

Once you find one, buy three cause it's likley to happen again, and the effort to find this $.20 wonder screw is far more costly than the part.

Thanks for everyone's help. I found M2 x 4mm stainless screws online at http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/mmpx-f.cfm where I can get 25 of them for $1.15. Of course, shipping is a lot more than that. I'll know in a few days if this is really the right screw.

Yes, a spare did come with my strobe. I lost my first screw on my very first dive with the strobe, as it wasn't tightened at the factory and I didn't know to double check it. I noticed during the dive it was wobbly, tried to tighten it by fingernail, but lost it before the end of the dive. So I used the spare then. Now two years later, I lost the spare. Not that I noticed it working loose, but at least these days I keep a jeweler's screwdriver in my camera case so that I can tighten these things.

-Mark

Use Loctite

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom