Missing SSI Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KateAus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was certified for my Advanced Open Water certification way back in September 2005 however SSI has no record. The dive agency is still in business in Australia, or at least has a web site but they are not responding to emails or phone calls. I actually suspect they never registered me and just pocketed the fees, it was a remote island in Fiji and i am not sure if I ever received my card as not long after I did my rescue so just used that card. I have found my log book and can prove my cert, however SSI are telling me I have to pay to add this to their records. This just doesn't sound right since I paid for this with my original certification. Anyone else had this issue and had some success getting it sorted?
Yes I know I can pay and get this over with, but it just doesn't seem right.

Maybe they typed your name/ email wrong?
I got 2 entrys in the padi db.
One with gmail.com and one with googlemail.com.

I know more people with more then one account.

Maybe check your email accounts for that time. Did u receive any notifications?

I maybe wrong, but advanced open water in SSI is just an acknowledgment after you get a couple of specialties and so many dives (I think 24). It doesn’t cost anything extra and doesn’t require course work.

Maybe they typed your name/ email wrong?
I got 2 entrys in the padi db.
One with gmail.com and one with googlemail.com.

I know more people with more then one account.

Maybe check your email accounts for that time. Did u receive any notifications?

Excellent suggestion re email. Funny how memory fades. In 2007 I actually contacted SSI and they couldn't find my details then either but the dive company at the time sent me a soft copy which annoyingly I cannot find in my records. Something clearly went wrong with the registration

Hi KateAUS

I live in Australia and have some recent experience with the SSI office located in this country.

Historically, SSI certifications were created onsite at the dive store and included in the cost of the relevant course while SSI recognition certifications were paid by the diver or provided free by the dive store. Recently, the system has changed to one where digital certifications are provided free (i.e. viewable online or via a phone) and hardcopy certification cards are supplied after paying the required fee to either the store or to SSI.

Also, it is relevant to mention that after the end of 2008 (or from the start of 2009), all SSI certification details have been available online and can be assessed by an online account known as MySSI. If you certified prior to 2009, you need to create an account etc. All of this is discussed in some detail in an SSI document entitled "SSI Replacement Card Process" which can be downloaded from the following link - https://static.shoplightspeed.com/s...5/ssi-replacement-card-form-manual-013017.pdf

Therefore, because your certifications are pre-2009, I would suspect that you have been asked to pay a fee to create a new record in the SSI database. The content of your first post suggests that SSI accepts that you have the all of the pre-requisite certifications and experience for Advanced Open Water Diver.

My personal experience follows. Recently, I received a Advanced Open Water Diver digital certificate from SSI after completing two specialities online during 2020 and paying for the certifications for the two specialities that I did in 2001 to be recreated as digital certifications. I was initially unhappy about the fee. However, the exchange of emails revealed that hardcopy records existed and were checked against the information that I provided. After payment, I also received access to the current digital e-learning materials for the two specialities.

With respect to the performance of the SSI office in Australia, I have made several online inquiries and received responses. My most recent inquiry has not been replied to and I suspect that the SSI staff may be busy with something else, i.e. instructor courses.

Hi KateAUS

I live in Australia and have some recent experience with the SSI office located in this country.

Historically, SSI certifications were created onsite at the dive store and included in the cost of the relevant course while SSI recognition certifications were paid by the diver or provided free by the dive store. Recently, the system has changed to one where digital certifications are provided free (i.e. viewable online or via a phone) and hardcopy certification cards are supplied after paying the required fee to either the store or to SSI.

Also, it is relevant to mention that after the end of 2008 (or from the start of 2009), all SSI certification details have been available online and can be assessed by an online account known as MySSI. If you certified prior to 2009, you need to create an account etc. All of this is discussed in some detail in an SSI document entitled "SSI Replacement Card Process" which can be downloaded from the following link - https://static.shoplightspeed.com/s...5/ssi-replacement-card-form-manual-013017.pdf

Therefore, because your certifications are pre-2009, I would suspect that you have been asked to pay a fee to create a new record in the SSI database. The content of your first post suggests that SSI accepts that you have the all of the pre-requisite certifications and experience for Advanced Open Water Diver.

My personal experience follows. Recently, I received a Advanced Open Water Diver digital certificate from SSI after completing two specialities online during 2020 and paying for the certifications for the two specialities that I did in 2001 to be recreated as digital certifications. I was initially unhappy about the fee. However, the exchange of emails revealed that hardcopy records existed and were checked against the information that I provided. After payment, I also received access to the current digital e-learning materials for the two specialities.

With respect to the performance of the SSI office in Australia, I have made several online inquiries and received responses. My most recent inquiry has not been replied to and I suspect that the SSI staff may be busy with something else, i.e. instructor courses.

Thank you but my situation is not quite the same. Also it is not correct that only the dive stores have the certs, I have some emails from 2007 which show SSI asking the dive store about my cert as they couldn't find it in their records - I wasn't stressed at the time as I was doing rescue which superseded at the time - rules have changed and I will now have an issue when I start DM.

I have had no issue contacting SSI, it's the dive company that is not being responsive. SSI should have had a record, that has been confirmed by SSI but they don't and have said if I provide evidence I have to pay to update their database. Not really fair. I don't want a new card, I just want them to have a record of my certification. My Nitrox from 2015 was automatically updated to an online copy - which to be fair is more than I can say for PADI who make you pay to create digital cards - although you can see your list of certs.

I spoke to SSI again today and have sent a bunch of information including photos of my log book with the certifying instructors name, cert number (which they can't reverse search on) and written confirmation of certification - they are seeing what they can do. Fingers crossed

lets back up a step.

an ssi advanced cert is only a recognition level, it is not a course. a diver requires 24 dives and 4 specialties to qualify for the advanced level.

so the question is, which specialties do you currently have ? and do you have at least 24 dives logged into the ssi log book book on your profile.

once we know the answers to these questions we can better assist.

Reactions: Zef
..... I wasn't stressed at the time as I was doing rescue which superseded at the time - rules have changed and I will now have an issue when I start DM.

Check me if I'm wrong on this, but this in no way should affect your ability to become a DM. As long as you have the min. number of dives, the required prerequisite courses or experience, and have taken Dive Guide and SOD, you're a DM. SSI not "seeing" your AOW recognition (which is simply 24 dives and 4 specialties) should not affect any of that. Good luck in your DM endeavour. I'm starting DG on Jan 13th. :)

Back
Top Bottom