Mistral DH Reg (~1959) and modern tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it is not immediately apparent just where to connect an IP gauge. On the hookah port, perhaps?

For an AquaMaster with Hookah Port or equivilent (Voit Navy), yes. IP gauge goes on Hookah port with adapter. For older 2-stage DH regs (without Hookah Port) the IP guage screws directly into the second stage hole in the regulator body - see pic.

P9DOlt.jpg

Aside from the "captivity" project I'm trying to discover why, if they are so wonderful, the double-hose regs went to the garage sales so quickly back in the late 60s and early 70s. I need to fashion a temporary duckbill for the exhaust hose and see if that helps, plus it is not immediately apparent just where to connect an IP gauge. On the hookah port, perhaps? My new DAAM breathes well when I'm completely vertical and it free-flows when I take it out of my mouth and hold it up, plus I succeeded in removing and replacing the reg while in the water and didn't need to lean to the left or make a CETA in my pool :wink: I love the idea of having the air exhaust behind me and having a mouthpiece that does not want to pull to one side or the other. I'd often thought of trying to modify a single-hose reg so it had hoses like a double-hose for these reasons. I have two manuals that you wonderful people have sent me which I will look at right after I clean my pool filter, mow the lawn, and fix the leak in my spa pump. Oh, and install two new sprinkler timers and plant my hibiscus plants so I can make jamaica since I can't go to Mexico and get some there.

Meanwhile, I love my new $9 mask from China!
If you don't have a hookah port adapter, I'm using a y-block with teflon tape on mine. Let's me run a BCD and safe second if needed. I don't believe VDH or Scuba Museum have any adapters in stock. Here is the adapter I'm using;
Y Adapter 9/16
I'm curious if the mass sell off of double hoses in the 60s-70s was mainly successful marketing of single hose... the more I play with my Cyclone/HPR DAAM, the more I think it may be my daily driver.... and I'm about to put a DAAM in the water with rubber diaphragm, resurfaced original seat, basically no upgrades, and see how that does.
Respectfully,

James

If you don't have a hookah port adapter, I'm using a y-block with teflon tape on mine. Let's me run a BCD and safe second if needed. I don't believe VDH or Scuba Museum have any adapters in stock. Here is the adapter I'm using;
Y Adapter 9/16
I'm curious if the mass sell off of double hoses in the 60s-70s was mainly successful marketing of single hose... the more I play with my Cyclone/HPR DAAM, the more I think it may be my daily driver.... and I'm about to put a DAAM in the water with rubber diaphragm, resurfaced original seat, basically no upgrades, and see how that does.
Respectfully,

James

I have a swivel type Y adaptor on one of my old US Divers regs. I haven't gotten far enough yet to be thinking about BC hoses :wink:

I'm sure you'll let us know how the DAAM works out :)

I don't recall ever seeing anyone diving with a double-hose reg and I started in '69. There must have been some, I just don't remember seeing any and I'm sure I would have talked to them about their regulators. I wasn't in any way prejudiced, it was just my understanding that the single-hose was the personal preference of my instructor. After all, Mike Nelson used a double-hose so they had to be good!

Nothing wrong with keeping regs vintage looking. Can clips certainly do that. For me, I always take the hoses off and cans apart for washing and cleaning after every day (or week, etc...) of continuous diving. That's the only reason I prefer the band-clamp (although at some point US Divers began selling Mistrals with a band-clamp). Anyone know what year that was? The only "pure-ish" vintage reg I have is a Voit VR-2 Mariner (which breaths "ok" given that is has no venturi). On that one I rebuilt it stock and left the can clips on. I say "pure-ish" because I had to add silicone hoses and mouthpiece, a silicone duckbill, as well as use a new silicone single-stage diaphragm and attach an old-style tabbed plate to it with a pop-rivet. Otherwise, at quick glance it looks fairly vintage. :)

View attachment 582844
Fred Roberts, in his defining book, Basic Scuba, states that the VR-2 Mariner was made by AMF Voit from 1956 to 1959).
The Mariner regulator is a two stage demand unit similar to the DA Navy regulator in all but the case...The mechanical operation for this unit is exactly the same as for the DA Aqualung...Voit does not us ethe same part numbers, therefore refer to the exploded view of the Voit regulators for the correct part numbers. Maintenance and trouble shooting instructions are the same as the DA Aqualung.
pages 219-220

SeaRat

Aside from the "captivity" project I'm trying to discover why, if they are so wonderful, the double-hose regs went to the garage sales so quickly back in the late 60s and early 70s. I need to fashion a temporary duckbill for the exhaust hose and see if that helps, plus it is not immediately apparent just where to connect an IP gauge. On the hookah port, perhaps? My new DAAM breathes well when I'm completely vertical and it free-flows when I take it out of my mouth and hold it up, plus I succeeded in removing and replacing the reg while in the water and didn't need to lean to the left or make a CETA in my pool :wink: I love the idea of having the air exhaust behind me and having a mouthpiece that does not want to pull to one side or the other. I'd often thought of trying to modify a single-hose reg so it had hoses like a double-hose for these reasons. I have two manuals that you wonderful people have sent me which I will look at right after I clean my pool filter, mow the lawn, and fix the leak in my spa pump. Oh, and install two new sprinkler timers and plant my hibiscus plants so I can make jamaica since I can't go to Mexico and get some there.

Meanwhile, I love my new $9 mask from China!
You can get a new duckbill here for $15:
Two Hose Regulator Hoses Clamps Mouthpieces Duckbills Parts

The IP gauge needs an adapter in order to be used, as it either plugs into the LP Hookah port on back (Herman sells an adapter for this for about $15), or interior where the LP seat goes (different adapter needed, see the U.S. Navy Diving Manual, 1970).

SeaRat

I think there's a good analogy between why people like double hose regulators and why people like to restore and drive vintage cars and motorcycles.
Obviously, if double hose regulators were a viable option there would be more than one manufacturer dribbling them out.
As far as C clamps go: they are an abomination!

For an AquaMaster with Hookah Port or equivilent (Voit Navy), yes. IP gauge goes on Hookah port with adapter. For older 2-stage DH regs (without Hookah Port) the IP guage screws directly into the second stage hole in the regulator body - see pic.

View attachment 582913

I connected a gauge to the hookah port and it reads 80 psi. That might explain the difficult breathing. I have carefully adjusted the IP according to the instructions twice. It reads the same on a tank with about 250 psi as it does on a tank with about 1200 psi. What did I do wrong?

@JamesBon92007

Let's do some tests. When you put an Allen wrench in the 1st stage bonnet nut and turn clockwise with the reg pressurized and the IP gauge attached, does the IP rise?

I think there's a good analogy between why people like double hose regulators and why people like to restore and drive vintage cars and motorcycles.
Obviously, if double hose regulators were a viable option there would be more than one manufacturer dribbling them out.
As far as C clamps go: they are an abomination!

I was thinking about what you said about the clamps while I was reading the US Navy Aqua-Master Evaluation Report. They hated the little clips and even said that one man's hand was "badly cut" removing the clips. So far I don't care much for the little clips and as much as I like to keep things as original as possible, I may send VDH the $25 for the band clamp :wink:

@JamesBon92007

Let's do some tests. When you put an Allen wrench in the 1st stage bonnet nut and turn clockwise with the reg pressurized and the IP gauge attached, does the IP rise?

Yes! The IP rises when I turn the nut clockwise. I got it up to about 130 psi when my pressure gauge connection started leaking (a nylon nut, a short length of rubber hose, and some hose clamps). I need to get a more stable gauge connection. It leaks slightly if I turn the nut clockwise anywhere past the 80 psi mark. Bad volcano valve, perhaps?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom