Mix-rc vs xtx200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi looking to buy at this regs. Will be using the long hose. Any pros and cons? as of now tropical weather but might dive colder regions.

any routing problems with the 1st stage?

why not xtx50/dst?

the replaceable arcap on the xtx200 is not necessary and unless if you decide to move somewhere with near freezing water, the mtx is overkill.

Hi looking to buy at this regs. Will be using the long hose. Any pros and cons? as of now tropical weather but might dive colder regions.

any routing problems with the 1st stage?

It depends if you dive doubles. In my opinion the angle of the hp port on the mxt-r is a bit wacky. it's angled upward quite alot. Not that it's a real issue, but i'm just nitpicking here.

Only thing is, if you're flying they are both very heavy regulators.
see photo below.
upload_2021-5-21_20-27-47.png

pro's of both:

XTX200
The xtx 200's biggest benefit is that you can remove that hp-sealing cornish if you get a scratch on it.
It's rare that these do get damaged, but it's possible.
For single tank the xtx200 probably has a bit cleaner hose routing.

MTXRC

The MTX-R is more freezup resistant, but here are very few situations where you would have that issue with an xtx200.
Unless you are planning to do 100 dives a year in sub 40 degree water you would probably never notice.

I suggest going for the cheaper one of the two to be honest, or the one which styling you prefer.

The XTX200 (or FSR) first stages are great IMO.
I don't buy that MTX-R is more freeze resistant for a second as I used my FSRs in 1-4 degrees celsius plenty enough and never had any issues, it's a rock solid first stage and if you add the 5th LP port it's even better.

@buddhasummer can probably get into the technical bits more but I know he's a fan of the FSR as well, they're really great.

I own two sets of both.
I use the XTX200s for twinset and MTX-Rs for side mount. I did my side mount course with the XTX200s, they make the tanks very top heavy. The FSRs are bricks, which works in your benefit on twinset to help balance out your trim, but side mount they were a bit too much.
The hose routing on single tank with the FSR is my preference.
As far as performance, you can't go wrong in either direction.
Also, the XTX200s have the venturi assist knob while the MTX-R does not, you have to get the MTX-RC for that.

Also, the XTX200s have the venturi assist knob while the MTX-R does not, you have to get the MTX-RC for that.

As the quoted part of your reply is about the second stages rather than the first stages, it's worth mentioning that the XTX200 second stage is just a glorified XTX50 with some extra shiny external details, it's the same second stage as the XTX50 but priced higher and "better" looking.
There is absolutely no need whatsoever to get an XTX200 second stage over an XTX50, unless you can get the former cheaper.

Also am I the only one bothered by the fact that the first stages are called the same names as the second stages in some regions?

Also am I the only one bothered by the fact that the first stages are called the same names as the second stages in some regions?

yeah, that does get confusing. I assumed he was referring to both the first and second stages together. That is how I bought mine, there were packaged together.

FSR/XTX50 my pick.

The MTX has weird angle hp ports if using 5th port. No replaceable crown. For me both of these things are deal breakers. YMMV.

Added bonus, you can unseal an FSR if you wish for tropical warm water diving, makes it tiny.
B0CA5080-4486-4756-9C54-1D9BC0FE7001.jpeg

In my world the DST is almost same price as an FSR. The replaceable crown is not needed till it is. Given similar price and removable crown and weird angled hp ports if using 5th port on MTX and you don't need a turret, personally I'd choose FSR/XTX50.

Back
Top Bottom