Mixing brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks people-some interesting (and differing)opinions here. However I *have* to say that the comment about the Oceanic DX4 1st stage was a bit misinformed. This bit of kit regularly features in the top regs available in the press and well, I have a soft spot for Oceanic too. (Back off the soap box). I've a couple of trips planned in the next week or so, I've just been paid and my local store has Apex in stock, so what the hell. Fortune favours the brave and all that.........Watch out for me in the Darwin Awards folks!

Hey all,

When this thread first came out, I was fairly "OK" with some mixing and matching, but definitely agreed with JonT's feelings. Still, there was just something that gnawed at me. I had heard rumors to the contrary that were never substantiated. Consequently, I did some research and found out a few things I didn't know before...

Not all second stage regs use downstream valves. Most notably the Poseidon regulators use an upstream valve assembly. So, if there is a free flow from the HP seat on the First Stage, there HAS to be a way to release the pressure build up in the LP hose which is normally just vented in the downstream design. Unfortunately, the OPV (Over Pressure Valve) is built into the First stage on many of the Poseidon systems. Consequently, putting a Poseidon Second Stage on any other First Stage without fitting it with the OPV can be dangerous. It could result in splitting the hose or exploding the Second Stage in the Diver’s mouth. However, you could put just about any Second Stage on a Poseidon First Stage. The additional OPV will not affect performance.

Also some First stages are “tuned” to have a higher IP (Intermediate Pressure) than others. While these can be “de-tuned” to lower pressures, they were not designed for that and this may cause performance problems. These pressures also greatly affect the cracking pressure needed on the Second Stage, which is why with ANY “FrankinReg”, you should have a qualified technician check it out. Or at least learn to do those procedures yourself!

Don’t get me wrong… I own two “FrankinRegs”. They are the old Aqualung Second Stages on Poseidon First Stages. A good friend of mine sold them to me, and I am glad he got it “right”. As for OPVs, you can buy them to screw into any of the LP ports of your First Stage. People who use a dedicated reg to run argon in their drysuits use them a lot.

Back
Top Bottom