Mixing PADI/SDI certification advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cduffey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an OW PADI certification (9 years, 200-300 dives). I would like to obtain my nitrox certification. The SDI certification looks attractive because it is online and doesn't require that I do certification dives through a local dive shop. What is the wisdom of mixing certifications and is the SDI nitrox certification widely accepted?

There is no issue at all. Before I turned pro I earned certs from several agencies.

To ask a follow-up question related to the OP's, how good are the various agencies at recognizing one another's certifications?

For example, if somebody got an AOW with PADI, could they do rescue with NAUI, etc.? After getting Rescue from NAUI, could one go on to earn their Master Diver through PADI?

Anybody should accept a SDI Nitrox cert.
Actually I thought that their Nitrox cert was through TDI technically. Not sure of the online program.

SDT/TDI offer more than one nitrox certification course. The TDI version includes more theory and math and is a better preparation for technical diving if the student is headed that way.

To ask a follow-up question related to the OP's, how good are the various agencies at recognizing one another's certifications?

For example, if somebody got an AOW with PADI, could they do rescue with NAUI, etc.? After getting Rescue from NAUI, could one go on to earn their Master Diver through PADI?

To answer your question...yes. To become a PADI Master Scuba diver, you could complete OW, AOW and Rescue diver with another agency. You would have to do all 5 of the required specialties with PADI.

I have an OW PADI certification (9 years, 200-300 dives). I would like to obtain my nitrox certification. The SDI certification looks attractive because it is online and doesn't require that I do certification dives through a local dive shop. What is the wisdom of mixing certifications and is the SDI nitrox certification widely accepted?

No problem with regards to the acceptance of either qualification.

Your only issue might be if you plan to get a PADI Master Scuba Diver rating in the future. For this, the specialties MUST be PADI specialties.

Cheers

Des

The SDI nitrox course is Computer Nitrox. They teach it using a nitrox compatible computer. The TDI course is more theory getting you ready for the Advanced Nitrox course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom