Mixing scuba regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alberto Ruiz-Larrea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone,

So I have been diving with a Mares MR12t and I have always had it serviced by pros, etc. I have never done any work on it or anything past attaching detaching hoses (for traveling, dont like them being bent). But a friend recently gave me a Aqualung legend 2nd stage and I was wondering if I could just change out the reg. I know that if the IP is the same for both it shouldn't be an issue? But I cannot find out how to check this.

I also wanted to use my old primary reg as my octo (better condition), so I assume that I will have to adjust the cracking pressure. Is this something I can do or do I need a professional to adjust these things. I do not have tanks at home, in case that's relevant.

Thanks for the help!

you need to do it on a tank so you can check the cracking effort and adjust accordingly. You can do it in the field, it's not hard, but if you haven't done it before, you may want to ask your tech to do it for you.

Thank you!!!!

This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I know how it works as well, I like to know how equipment works so this video is awesome! Again thank you, also for the super quick reply.

Virtually all Mares diaphragm 1st stages spec an IP of 145 psi +/- 3 psi.
Current generation Legends are spec'd 116-130 psi, previous generation was spec'd higher when used only in warm water, greater than 50F.
There will be many opinions on whether or not that matters, I am just providing you the available MFGR info as a starting point for your decision.

Back
Top Bottom