Mixing whip components

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to try and make it, it sounds like fun. I always like to dive, and this sounds like a good excuse. I'm going to be there this wednesday or thursday if it warms up any.

Meister481:
I'm building my own mixing whip and I'm thinking there has to be a cheaper DIN/bleeder $39 assembly and flow control $39 assembly than I've found so far. Anyone have a good supplier? The one I'm bulding is modular using quick connects so it can be used with my booster and inert gasses as well as oxygen.
Where are you getting these at $39???

I was picking up a few items for a project for work, and I noticed a local industrial supply place has 5ksi hydraulic fittings (tees, elbows, plugs, etc.) really inexpensively, but they are not brass or stainless, they are carbon steel, with a really nice quality zinc plating on them. Is there any reason why these would be unsuitable for O2 whip use?

Jim

Yes. They can spark and they can burn.

Jimmer:
I was picking up a few items for a project for work, and I noticed a local industrial supply place has 5ksi hydraulic fittings (tees, elbows, plugs, etc.) really inexpensively, but they are not brass or stainless, they are carbon steel, with a really nice quality zinc plating on them. Is there any reason why these would be unsuitable for O2 whip use?

Jim

oxyhacker:
Yes. They can spark and they can burn.
That's all I needed to know, I'll stick to the brass ones.

Thanks

Hydraulics are tempting but are crap. Hose is too stiff, fittings are big and clunky, and made of flammable components, as "Hacker" said.

pescador775:
Hydraulics are tempting but are crap. Hose is too stiff, fittings are big and clunky, and made of flammable components, as "Hacker" said.
And that's why I love this site :) Now I wasn't planning on using their hoses, but yes I had considered tees, elbows, etc. But I'll can that plan and make sure I use brass or stainless parts for O2 service. Thanks for the info guys.

Jim

Packhorse:
I use a hydraulic 5700psi hose with steel fittings for a air transfer whip. It was cheap and readily avaliable and I just screw it into the hp port of a couple of old 1st stages.
But I would never use it for O2 for obvious reasons.

My biggest concern about using hydraulic hoses and fittings would be if the hose ends were dipped in oil prior to the fitting being swaged onto the hose. I've gone to my local hydraulic store and have HP hoses made and have had to mention several times to dry swage the fittings on. Even if you are using them for plain air, you still don't want the oil residue from the hose going in your tanks.

Just something to think about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom