MK10 HP seat thickness/hardness. Hello Couv/BuddhaSummer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rnln

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Couv, Hi buddhasummer,
Regarding one of the thread Couv was having opinion for BuddhaSummer: Seat and shims MK10 ?

... Couv mentioned: "start with the HP seat marked -ll as that is the lowest IP seat, next is the -l, then the +"

Reading this, does that mean there are 3 different thicknesses of seat? I checked on VDH website and didn't see it mention anywhere. In fact, I don't even see VDH is selling seata lone for MK10 at all. Can you please elaborate more on this, in term of where/how to get thicker seat?

Right now, my IP is 120 psi on my MK10 at 1000 psi tank pressure. The seat is the one came with the VDH service kit. So, I will need the + rating seat, which is the thickest seat? Or please correct me if I am missing any point.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @rnln ,

The latest and greatest seats in the MK5/6/7/8/9/10 kit that ScubaPro produces come in three lengths. That makes it possible to change the IP simply by replacing the seat. The technician removes the seat carrier and seat and installs a different length seat. To raise the IP a shorter seat is used.
sp_seats-jpg-534988-jpg.571336.jpg

The above are the manufactures (ScubaPro) seats.

Thankfully, SP is not the only source for seats that work in these models. There are aftermarket seats available-chances are the seat you received from VDH is a Trident seat. Unfortunately, they only come in one length so adding and subtracting shims will be the preferred method of changing the IP.

See this thread for more on the same subject:
Scubapro Mk10 - low intermediate pressure

Here is another thread where you'll find some great information and a tip on how to shorten the seat you already have. Just apply the process to the non-cave cone side of the seat.
How to Restore a Knife Edge Piston

Wow, very informative. Thanks Couv.

Back
Top Bottom