MK17 Ambient Chamber question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aoumi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am soon to start overhauling my Scubapro MK17 first stage, and just want to ask, how necessary is it to use the MK17 Socket tool when re-assembling (tightening) the dry ambient chamber? Is it necessary to use this socket so as to tighten it to the correct torque, or is it permissible to use a spanner instead and tighten it down? It would be interesting to hear what others do and how crucial this is.

Thanks for your help

Never taken a torque wrench to a reg in my life. OTOH, some people have a 'feel' for stuff like that, others do not.

Are you referring to the diaphragm retainer or the environmental seal retainer? Assuming you are talking about the diaphragm retainer, it is preferred but not nessesary to torque. You could always find the correct sized crowsfoot wrench to torque it if the socket is not available.

The chamber AF (part 18 on the parts list) has a torque setting of 35Nm (310 lb.in) which is quite a bit. It is a 32mm A/F wrench. A crow foot works well and should be available. I made some up by having them laser cut and they cost about $4 to make up - If you were in South Africa I would have sent you one as a freebie.

This chamber is what keeps the diaphragm in place, so it is a very important item to tighten properly, but the torque setting itself isn't all that important. I guess you could clamp it on the vise and hang a suitable weight from the end of a wrench which is horizontal and parallel to the floor or just eyeball it.

Here is a maintenance procedure for it.

Attachments

• MK17 Maintenance Procedure.pdf
    547.2 KB · Views: 173
The chamber AF (part 18 on the parts list) has a torque setting of 35Nm (310 lb.in) which is quite a bit. It is a 32mm A/F wrench. A crow foot works well and should be available. I made some up by having them laser cut and they cost about $4 to make up - If you were in South Africa I would have sent you one as a freebie.

This chamber is what keeps the diaphragm in place, so it is a very important item to tighten properly, but the torque setting itself isn't all that important. I guess you could clamp it on the vise and hang a suitable weight from the end of a wrench which is horizontal and parallel to the floor or just eyeball it.

Thanks for that, 35 Nm is quite a bit of torque, it seems that it does need to be sufficiently tightened. Wouldn't want it coming loose at all during a dive.

Are you referring to the diaphragm retainer or the environmental seal retainer? Assuming you are talking about the diaphragm retainer, it is preferred but not nessesary to torque. You could always find the correct sized crowsfoot wrench to torque it if the socket is not available.

Thanks, yes it was the metal Ambient chamber which when dis-assembling you unscrew from the main body of the regulator and re-fit when assembling, it is probably the second largest part after the main body. I think it does function to retain the diaphragm in position. A crowsfoot wrench sounds like a good idea on that part....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom