Mk17 vs Mk11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Both regulators are Diaphragm type and both are balanced

what's the major difference from the 2 aside from MK11 as lighter?

Mk17 is an environmentally sealed reg, where as the Mk11 is not. If you are diving in cold or filthy water then the Mk17 is recommended.

Mk17 is an environmentally sealed reg, where as the Mk11 is not. If you are diving in cold or filthy water then the Mk17 is recommended.

Hi shurite7,

Ive been away from diving for 3-4 yrs. Now going back to diving now, managed to recruit a few friends into diving. And was wondering what reg to recomend them considering back them there was just Mk25 and Mk17 1st stages.
I have a mk17 , it was expensive back then.

Considering we are only doing tropical diving... maybe MK11 will do? considering it's a balanced 1st stage. Hose routing isn't really a major issue. MK11 is cheaper than MK17? I know it's a bit heavier compared to MK17 ... but should be breathing the same right?

Hello LancyRiley,

Breathing rate is basically the same. The Mk17 and Mk11 are good regs. The main difference is the added diaphragm for the Mk17. For the tropics the Mk11 will work great. The Mk11is a little bit cheaper. The 11 will be a good choice. A friend of mine bought a Mk11 and she really likes it.

The Mk25 is still around. It is an excellent performing reg. This doesn't mean the Mk17 (including the Mk11) isn't. I have both and it is hard to tell the difference between the two.

Your next choice is which second stage do you want. The G260 or S620 are very nice second stages. If you want something a little less, yet still have good performance, the C350 will work just fine with the Mk11. It is nice performing second stage.

Hello LancyRiley,

Breathing rate is basically the same. The Mk17 and Mk11 are good regs. The main difference is the added diaphragm for the Mk17. For the tropics the Mk11 will work great. The Mk11is a little bit cheaper. The 11 will be a good choice. A friend of mine bought a Mk11 and she really likes it.

The Mk25 is still around. It is an excellent performing reg. This doesn't mean the Mk17 (including the Mk11) isn't. I have both and it is hard to tell the difference between the two.

Your next choice is which second stage do you want. The G260 or S620 are very nice second stages. If you want something a little less, yet still have good performance, the C350 will work just fine with the Mk11. It is nice performing second stage.

yes I dive with the Mk17 ... and have no plans on replacing it... 2nd stage is the s600 which was way overpriced back then. for the newbies i think the mk11 would do... and a c560? is it still available? or a G260?

Personally, I prefer the G260. I do have a couple of C350 with another reg and I do like them. The c350 is small and compact. For the price it works quite well. The C350 is easy to service as is the G260.

Can't say I've heard of the C560.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom