MK2 overhaul question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sorry, I meant flow by piston like Mk2. My point is that the pressure changes are not a function of the size of the piston head. A different size piston head, )like the Mk3 or Mk200 is compensated for with a different strength spring and the IP drop is unchanged.

I am sorry, I meant flow by piston like Mk2. My point is that the pressure changes are not a function of the size of the piston head. A different size piston head, )like the Mk3 or Mk200 is compensated for with a different strength spring and the IP drop is unchanged.

I think I know what you mean, but for me is the static IP and the IP difference between full and near empty tank the result of the work force of the sealing force of the piston on the one hand and the resisting forces of the spring force and the supply pressure force ( and maybe some friction force of the piston o-rings) on the other.

If you change one of those factors, the IP or the IP difference will change.

If you want that the IP to 'behave' like in the old configuration you would have to modify the other factors as well.

Like I think that making the orifice bigger to produce a higher flow demands a slightly bigger piston head and a spring which produces a little bit less counter force (by taking away a shim for example) to produce the same IP qualities as before, so I think to reduce effect of the supply pressure (less variance of IP) one would have to make the orifice smaller and strengthen the spring (or accept more shims) and keep the same piston head size.

But that would mean that the flow characteristics (output) would be reduced.

My major point (understanding) is that these opposing forces (sealing force versus spring force and supply pressure force) produce the IP and its characteristics over the course of the supply spectrum range and if you change one factor then you have to adapt the other factors to achieve the same IP qualities as before.

I must admit I'm still not 100% sure that what I wrote is absolute correct, but the idea that if I change the size of the orifice I have only to change the spring pressure ( what you have to do to my opinion anyway) to achieve the same IP drop doesn't make much sense to me.:)

If you change the Mk2 orifice from 0.08 inches diameter to 0.085 inches, the change in downstream pressure on the HP seat is in the 2 to 3 psi range. That is about the same change you would see if you put that Mk2 on an HP tank. Same piston and spring. At most, you might want to remove one washer.

If you change the Mk2 orifice from 0.08 inches diameter to 0.085 inches, the change in downstream pressure on the HP seat is in the 2 to 3 psi range. That is about the same change you would see if you put that Mk2 on an HP tank. Same piston and spring. At most, you might want to remove one washer.

Yes, that's right, but with just an HP tank instead a normal 3000psi tank the proportion of the forces stays the same.

But with a bigger orifice those 2-3psi IP more at full tank are the ones of the supply pressure part of the IP which are missing when the tank is low, this is why Halo and I think the IP drop is getting higher if you don't balance it out on the other factors.......

You have an idea why SP would sell their new MK2 EVO with 15% more air flow and say the reason for this raise would be a bigger piston?

I suspect that the Mk2 EVO piston will be fully compatible with the Mk2 plus but they might differ a bit in weight. I noticed the 15% difference in flow rate is based on the EVO AT 3000 psi and the plus at 2600 psi. But it looks good in the ad.

As I read it, the piston head is .0625 inch wider, but the body (of the 1st) is .1406 inch shorter.

So I don't believe in this fully compatible thing.

Seems we have gone pretty deep and left everybody else behind.......:wink:

In the past, that kind of change would get a new designation from scubapro. Or that difference might just be with and without an oring.

In the past, that kind of change would get a new designation from scubapro. Or that difference might just be with and without an oring.

With or without o-ring?!

Very good.......:D

Anyway, really thanks for the discussion.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom