Mk5 broken spring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bali1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have gotten addicted to rebuilding these first stages and recently got a few more at a good price. While one was in great shape the other looked ok until:

l IMG_1529.jpg IMG_1530.jpg

Looks like the spring rusted and split in the middle.

Anyone ever seen this before? I doubt there are replacement springs out there. Are the springs the same for early and late MK 5 models? It is a shame since the rest of the regulator is in good shape.

check out vintage double hose website - I've gotten several parts for my mk10 and G200b regulators. The below link is a shim kit, but has the spring for reference only - you can probably contact them and see if they have a spring. They also had (didn't look today) youtube videos on the mk5 servicing.
Store | Vintage Double Hose

You now have a parts donor (less a spring) for other mk-5 projects.

Not a bad thing......

Mr Westfall is correct about having a parts donor, but if you still want to go with a new spring, contact @NotSure If he does not have one, I might.

I am down to my last new spring and I think I will keep it but I replaced every spring in my MK5 / MK1 /Mk8 collection so I have a few good used ones.

I will be fine but thanks. I have some old Mk5s I can cannabalize.

I was more interested in whether anyone had seen a spring break like that before.

Cheers

I will be fine but thanks. I have some old Mk5s I can cannabalize.

I was more interested in whether anyone had seen a spring break like that before.

Cheers

No problem.

I have only seen pictures others have posted of the same type of failure.

I've experienced a couple of spring failures on both first and second stages... primarily propagating from a rust pit, causing a helical fracture under compression load.

Could you please post some close up pics of the actual break point?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom