MK5 Springs + 300 bar fitting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joris Vd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Dear Scubaboarders,

As some of you may or may not know i'm a bit of a scubapro mk5/109 fanatic. Now a while ago I finally managed to get a set op 5th port + din turret Mk5's from German second hand sites and combine it with my 109s I already had lying around.

I have the small problem with one of the mk5's that although it does not creep a single psi which is great, the IP is stable at 118 psi, which seems a tad low compared to what Scubapro recommended in the old manuals.

I talked to a scubapro rep at an event a while ago and he was talking about my kit , and I told him I don't take the mk5's out alot because I have 300 bar valves and I dont want an extra huge chrome adapter piece on an already big regulator. Now the rep claimed 300 BAR fittings were once available for the mk5 . . . Is this correct? Or was the rep mistaken?

Long story short:

Is there a 300 bar DIN adapter for the mk5 I'm just missing in all the catalogs?

and

The 118 IP is with the highest Seat available, so should I just source a new spring or shim extra?

Or could I just tune my second stage with that low Ip and be fine ?

I don't know about any currently available DIN for the mk-5, or if one was ever available in 300 BAR.

as to IP - add shims (ideally, a new spring seems appropriate, but finding one is the issue).

That IP is rather low....

YMMV

Regarding the IP, remember the official Scubapro rebuild kit contains 3 seats for the MK-5 so you may want to use a different seat. There is a thread on Scubaboard discussing it. Maybe @couv , @herman, or @halocline will chime in, they are the resident experts on this.

I believe there were a few different versions of the MK5 DIN adapter.

Attachments

• SCUBAPRO DIN Adaptors.pdf
    129.8 KB · Views: 237
IMG_3513.jpg
IMG_3512.jpg

Is there a 300 bar DIN adapter for the mk5 I'm just missing in all the catalogs?

and

The 118 IP is with the highest Seat available, so should I just source a new spring or shim extra?

Or could I just tune my second stage with that low Ip and be fine ?

To raise the IP, you want to use the lowest (shortest) seat, not the highest (tallest). I'm not sure if that's what you are referring to. The short seats have a "+" on the back. The tallest seats have a "=" on the back. I always use the short "+" seats in my MK5s, and I still have IP around 125-130 on them, sometimes with a shim or two. I think SP says you can use up to 3 shims. Those shims not super accurate IME; I think a good project might be to source hard plastic, maybe teflon, shims of varying thickness to use as IP adjustment on the MK5.

You will notice a difference in performance if you get the IP up into the high 120s. Not much, and certainly they still breathe great with a balanced 2nd stage even if the IP is low.

There are DIN retainers for the MK5; they're a little hard to find. I eventually found two, and I suspect I'll end up using those MK5s for my cave regs at some point. (I just finished full cave!) There is a work-around; the very common universal SP DIN connector is about 2 mm shorter and Awap has had good results just using a 2mm thick brass washer that fits in the body of the reg and allows the shorter retainer to 'bottom out' and torque correctly. You still use the o-ring on the side of the retainer, not the end like the MK 10, 15, 20, 25.

I wish VDH would do a run of DIN adapters for the MK-5.

We can all wish, but the cost of tooling would likely lead to the need for a large purchase quantity or the per unit price would be insane. That being said, I doubt there is enough of a market demand to order a quantity sufficient to balance out the production cost...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom