MOD Stickers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rec diver gets hurt or has a medical situation on dive 1. Now everyone is in a pickle because the boat has a duty to that diver but also your group who wants to gallivant for 3hrs.

Recall signal...cut dive short, deco out.

Scenario two - weather picks up. Everyone else is on the boat and getting beat up or worse because you want to gallivant for 3hrs.

If it’s a double dip on the same wreck, they are gonna get beat up anyway. The unicorn of a perfect storm where the seas go from 3’ to 10’...doesn’t happen in a 2-3 hr timeframe...and certainly not without warning. They have this thing called the weather channel...and radar...use it.

I'm not sure whether you mean diluent tanks or bailout tanks there. Or maybe you would be running a setup where your bottom gas bailout bottle IS your diluent bottle?

Anyway....

The downsides of running 1.4? On OC? Running up the CNS clock faster. A bigger risk to the diver if you go deeper than planned. Is there really any other downside (on OC)?

increased risk of a seizure if you are working hard due to current as well as a bunch of other physiological stuff that is less than ideal for extended exposures. Limited ability to do repetitive dives due to otus, etc.

Recall signal...cut dive short, deco out.

If it’s a double dip on the same wreck, they are gonna get beat up anyway. The unicorn of a perfect storm where the seas go from 3’ to 10’...doesn’t happen in a 2-3 hr timeframe...and certainly not without warning. They have this thing called the weather channel...and radar...use it.
Wasn’t your scenario a 75min wreck dive that used 98cuft of oxygen?

Yup, wrap it up quick guys!

Rec diver gets hurt on dive 1...40?min into your dive...yup, boat recalls divers...come up...do your nessecary deco and get out. It’s actually not that big a deal.
Shouldn’t be doing a penetration dive worth talking about with rec divers on the boat.

The unicorn of a perfect storm where the seas go from 3’ to 10’...doesn’t happen in a 2-3 hr timeframe...and certainly not without warning. They have this thing called the weather channel...and radar...use it.

As good as the forecasts are, they still aren't perfect. I've actually experienced this on a research trip. Divers drop in with with seas running 3-4'. An hour later as they were getting out, seas were running 7-10'. Trying to get back on that swim platform in those seas was truly one of the scariest experiences I've ever had diving.

Rec diver gets hurt on dive 1...40?min into your dive...yup, boat recalls divers...come up...do your nessecary deco and get out. It’s actually not that big a deal.

Unless that diver is in cardiac arrest.

Unless that diver is in cardiac arrest.

If the captain is that concerned, call USCG.
Otherwise the captain can decide to make boat policies either limiting or eliminating deco profiles on trips with rec divers.
I don’t know how much further y’all can nuke this, but my guess is that you have a what if for every conceivable scenario. There is a think called calculated risk ya know...and we all take it on every single dive.

Consider a situation where you have a diver on board in cardiac arrest. The boat is 40 miles offshore. At the same time, you have divers in the water with 30 minutes of deco left. The Coast Guard will tell the captain to begin moving towards shore to minimize the time required to get the cardiac arrest patient to shore. Does the captain pull the divers and bend them to give the cardiac patient the best possible chance? Or does the captain refuse the Coast Guard's instructions to ensure the safety of the divers in the water? Either decision is not going to bode well for the captain.

Consider a situation where you have a diver on board in cardiac arrest. The boat is 40 miles offshore. At the same time, you have divers in the water with 30 minutes of deco left. The Coast Guard will tell the captain to begin moving towards shore to minimize the time required to get the cardiac arrest patient to shore. Does the captain pull the divers and bend them to give the cardiac patient the best possible chance? Or does the captain refuse the Coast Guard's instructions to ensure the safety of the divers in the water? Either decision is not going to bode well for the captain.

Do you really think the CG would order the boat to leave or pull divers with a real deco obligation? In order to save the Life Flight chopper a couple of extra minutes of flight time?

I'm seriously asking. I don't know, but I really HOPE the CG would not order that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom