Moderation: Too much or too little?

What is your GENERAL feeling about SB moderation?

• I'd like to see more moderation

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I'd like to see less moderation

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I think the current level of moderation is fine.

Votes: 74 66.1%
  • I have another opinion - state below

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm creating this thread as a spinoff of the http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/feedback/414020-sb-report-card-part-2-a.html thread so as to not derail it.

Before we go any further on this discussion, I'd like to point out a few things.

1. I'm posting this based on my own personal curiosity after reading some of the responses there. I'm also asking this question in general, and not related to a specific staff member or incident.

2. This is not being done as a staff request, or under the premise of changing the way anything is done. Of course, if there is an overwhelming consensus we will take it into consideration, but that's not the intent here.

3. Users make somewhere around 1500 posts per day. Moderators are volunteers here, with many other daily commitments. While we enjoy being here, it's near impossible to monitor every thread and every post made on a daily basis.

4. The overwhelming majority of moderator actions come as a result from reported posts by other users. If a thread has been reported and become volatile, we may keep an eye on it, but we don't just go looking for things to moderate because we're bored. The same goes for users. If we have repeated contact with a user, it's because that user is continuing to be involved in some sort of an issue, not because we've just decided to pick on them.

5. We'd much rather spend our time interacting with other members and participating in threads in a positive way.

. Finally, the main thing that prompted me to post this thread is the following comment:

Mostly I ignore stupid responses but would like to see the MODs take care of some of the really stupid tread openers. I have nothing specific in mind but sometimes feel like answering, something like: Of course you are going to get wet if you go scuba diving in a wet suit... I post a lot less than I used to because of the inane questions and stupid answers, I can't correct it and won't try, but there are a lot of half truths and bogus answers floating around here on the board.

Moderators walk a very fine line in this regard. We will remove information that is in blatant disregard to established guidelines followed by major certifying agencies which is brought to our attention. Many lesser points are often left to the users to counter. Part of the reason is stated in my list above - we can't be everywhere at once. A second part is that if we attempt to regulate every questionable comment, then people will feel stifled and it opens up liability if we miss something.

Hopefully this gives a bit of insight into some of the how and why's of moderation and I'm looking forward to the feedback on the poll. Also, please include explanations of your answer to help us have a better understanding of what works and what doesn't.

...//..., please include explanations of your answer to help us have a better understanding of what works and what doesn't.

OMG! Offputting issues in "Basic" are not the same as dustups in Advanced. Heavily police Basics, (YES YOU MATT), and allow for free fire zones in the higher strata. Newbies need a safe haven where they can get their feet wet...

I can't agree with the quote in Cave Diver's post. People who take the time to join and ask a question generally want an answer. I know it must be frustrating for long-term members to see the same thing posted again and again, but that's the way of the world (I got the message: "use the search function").

As I said previously, in my opinion debate is better than argument. Moderation can be difficult, and you can't please all of the people all of the time, but I wish there was a little more moderation in those threads that end up argumentative. Sometimes when I read I want to say, "Enough!", and I wish someone with authority would! I'm not talking about stifling freedom of speech; I'm talking about civility. The community has to decide the st
andard of behaviour they will accept.

I post a lot less than I used to because of the inane questions and stupid answers, I can't correct it and won't try, but there are a lot of half truths and bogus answers floating around here on the board.
Though all the winds of doctrine were let loose to play on the earth, so Truth be in the field, we do injuriously, by licensing and prohibiting, to misdoubt her strength. Let her and Falsehood grapple; who ever knew Truth put to the worse, in a free and open encounter?

Though all the winds of doctrine were let loose to play on the earth, so Truth be in the field, we do injuriously, by licensing and prohibiting, to misdoubt her strength. Let her and Falsehood grapple; who ever knew Truth put to the worse, in a free and open encounter?

All too true, take the gloves off. Talk about a newbie killer...

Fundamental issue is that you DO have a choice, move up a notch. Don't start a fight and hide behind a skirt. (That used to be such a powerful statement, but now, especially in my distaff environment, it is blunted)

All too true, take the gloves off. Talk about a newbie killer...
I edited that while you were posting to make the reference clear. I believe civilized people should interact civilly—there is no place for rudeness. That said, I think we should defer to Milton on matters of substance (as opposed to form), and let posters, rather than moderators, counter any erroneous information.

In general, I think the moderators here get it right.

I know it must be frustrating for long-term members to see the same thing posted again and again, but that's the way of the world (I got the message: "use the search function").

I dislike that response as well.

If I know something has been recently discussed well, I'll often do a search and post a number of links in response. Some users have difficulty navigating the search features to find exactly what they're looking for. Also, the answers that were given 6 months or a year ago may change when you ask the same question today.

The mods are sleeping in Basic Scuba Discussions.

Using the Report Post button, along with a detailed explanation of the reason for reporting the post can help with that issue.

John, you know me well enough to know that I pretty much don't report anything. I'd rather bump shoulders. But I can't do that in Basic. So I choose to pick another thread in another forum. Amazing resource SB, -I'm just one of the players...

This is my biggest concern when it comes to moderation on this site,.... The moderators becoming personally involved in the threads. Now,... I do look at this from both sides. I would certainly say 99% of the moderators here do an excellent job, but there are a few that because they let themselves become personally involved & seek to try to force their opinion as the only opinion, leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

Yes, the moderators are human & in heated discussions, it can be difficult not to become personally involved & biased in a topic.I understand that. Especially if they have a certain, definite opinion. That is where I see some moderators shine with great skill & where some fall flat on their face, with little or no tact.

My personal experience, turned nightmare, was with the recent topics of a manufacturer's changes in policies. My involvement had to do with questioning why the changes took place & why so drastically, as a diver,& a dive industry professional. I tried to very carefully word the questions to provoke thought, not stir the pot as was suggested by a moderator or 2. When a couple moderators got personally involved, I much later found out that questioning the manufacturers was against the TOS for the particular part of the site. Should I have made myself more aware of the "rules"? Yes, certainly, I failed in that manner. The moderators that became involved could have just very easily said "asking these questions are against the TOS", & left it at that. Instead of Labelling those involved in the thread as cyber bullies, cry babies & other such derogatory terms, which was, & still is absolutely uncalled for. I was in no way "dog piling" (as one moderator put it), but merely seeking some answers. Maybe the answers were not to be found, but to be called derogatory names for asking questions, whether right or wrong, or the moderators agreed or disagreed with it, was completely unprofessional of the moderators that became personally involved in the discussion. Not only have these few individuals done this to me, I have seen them do it to others here on the board in the same manner. I will not name names,... those involved, are quite aware of who they are. I am not here to point fingers, but only to show there are flaws here. After my little "spanking" I do not post nearly as much as I once did. I only try to help answer questions for newer divers & leave it at that. Maybe some of the moderators ought to step back time to time & remember what their job is,.... or if they can't,... allow another moderator to watch & guide (not control) the thread.

Thank you for allowing me to air out something that has been a bur under my saddle for a while.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom