Modifying gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coldiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I find myself frequently modifying my gear. (minor modifications IE: crotch strap) Have you modified your gear, and for what reason?

Yes, all the time.

Because of the dramatically different kinds of diving I do, it is impossible for me to have just one or two setups. In relatively short time spans, I might be ice diving and then cave diving and then recreational diving. I have a lot of gear, but not nearly enough to have specific sets for each diving variation in which I might find myself.

That requires almost constant tweeking and adjusting and adapting. None of this even takes into account broken gear that I have to deal with.

Then there are the adaptations that are more exotic; like the time we had to adapt my rebreather to side mounted AL80s. The thing was, we were at a mountain top volcanic lake without many tools bordering on a jungle. That was fun.

I do have one rule of thumb, only one modification per dive.

Jeff

i usually don't have to modify my gear...crotch strap? you must be one of those cold water divers i have heard about :D

Modify, define modify. I reconfigure all the time, but I've never taken a knife, hammer or a welding torch to my diving gear. I've done all of that to my car and called it a modification but diving gear never.

Ask my wife, #1 rule of buying anything, Take it home and modify it. There is not much made out there that is right from the factory. Just my $.02 worth.

Ask my wife, #1 rule of buying anything, Take it home and modify it.
Yeah, no kidding. You should see my Jeep :)

As for dive gear - nothing comes to mind. I could see myself making some mods to my BC - but I dunno about anything else. I mean, what kind of modification would I make? To what?

Attachments

• e_panel.jpg
    e_panel.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 138
Hmmmm....

I drilled out the rivets holding the buckles to my Jet fins and installed spring straps...does that count? :)

I cut the bib on my wetsuit hood in order to make it fit into the warm neck collar on my drysuit.

I popped my computer, bottom timer, and compass out of their respective wrist boots, and put them in DSS bungee mounts.

....that's about all I can think of.

I just posted about this on another board. I just got a Nomad and spent 2 hours yesterday stripping it down, taking out all of the unnecessary padding and d-rings, adding retaining bands for all the loose harness bits, bungee loop to hold down the corrugated hose, switched out the currogated hose to a shorter one... and I haven't even had it in the water yet :) I really can't consider gear "mine" until it has been hacked to my requirements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom