Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the guys on the boat got a nice shot of the pyrosomes (and confirmed the ID)!

16708486_10206462700365144_8840186448477561607_n.jpg

Photo by Clinton Bauder

Date: 2/12
Site: Aquarium Wall/Hopkins (via McAbee Beach)
Depth: 61fsw
Temp: 55deg
Vis: 20-30ft (10-15ft in shallows)
Comment: Deepwater species abound. Absolutely massive pyrosoma bloom in both the shallows and at depth off of McAbee. Also present were smaller concentrations of corolla spectabilis, physophora hydrostatica, and a couple unidentified prayids.

Date: 2/12
Site: McAbee Pinnacle (via McAbee Beach)
Depth: 60fsw
Temp: 55deg
Vis: 20-30ft (10-15ft in shallows)
Comment: In addition to the invertebrates listed above, also ran into a sheephead, abundant lingcod, the usual rockfish lineup, and a bat ray. On the return, ogled by a lone acrobatic/curious sea lion and briefly buzzed by a dolphin (not sure what species -- probably common or bottlenose).

I was at Del Monte beach on Sunday, the pyrosomes were everywhere. Apparently they are bioluminescent - if I'd known that in advance, I'd have done a night dive. Would love to hear if anyone has seen them glowing at night.

The find of the day for us was a type of amphipod called Phronima. These little creatures scoop out the insides of a salp and then use it as a shelter and place to lay their eggs, all the while swimming around in the water column - quite efficiently too. They were quite small (salp was about 1.5-2 cm long) and transparent and I didn't get any good pictures, but google helped me with the ID. Keep a look out, they are fascinating. There's always something new, even at Breakwater.

Did two at Breakwater today. Kelp bed was blown out and vis was 10-15. Waves were coming up to the steps but manageable. The anchor off of the number 5 is almost completely uncovered due to the storms. Wall had 15-20ft vis after the drop off. Water temp was 55.

@chris_the_brit : Nice job identifying the phronima.

I was also able to see movement within certain pyrosoma when I illuminated the body. I could see little somethings flitting back and forth within the tube, but I couldn't make out what they were. I spent the better part of last night trying to figure out but I couldn't find any reference. My girlfriend (a marine microbiologist) was stumped and thought it might be a species of copepod.

All these storms are cramping my style. Tried diving 3 or 4 different weekends in Oct & Nov. - all blown out. Once in Jan. & this weekend - blown out. Last time I dove locally was Labor Day.

Could someone please direct me to the complaint department, I've got some beef.

Today looked quite calm on the surface near Mcabee and Breakwater. (sea_otter's pic wasnt from today, striking as it is...) Swell was showing the further I got toward Pt Pinos. Too bad the swell is picking up overnight with winds from the NW. The Monterey Penninsula provides a great wind block from winds out of the S/SW. Saw a few dive teams out, though didnt speak to any of them. Today may have been ok to be out, despite the fact that the heavens were dumping sheets of heavy rain as they doffed their drysuits:wink: I'll admit, witnessing this did make me laugh... Good luck to your friends, Chavo.

Not sure if I want to plan my OW checkout dives for 2/25 and 2/26, but I might if the surge isn't too bad at Breakwater. Anyone with a crystal ball have a hunch? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom