Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thursday Breakwater had about 15 foot vis +/-. Water temp was 57 but there were definite thermoclines. Wall had best vis. Kelp maybe 10. Looked like water was clearing up. Jellies were not at the dock. I'm guessing it was due to a fuel spill. Water had a film and it smelled like diesel fuel.

Found along the breakwater wall: Mares Ray mask with yellow rim, black snorkel attached. Very recent loss because it's very clean. Is it yours?

We arrived at Pt. Lobos on Friday, Aug. 18th at 9AM. First we were told the computer was down so they may be full and to come back later. We drove to Monastery to check it out and came back. They then told us no one could dive because it was beach clean up day. The last time we were there it was junior lifeguard day and we could not dive. They do not post this on there website. So we dove at Monastery. It looked calm but had a bit too much surge. We had a pretty good dive though, and I got lots of colorful video macro shots. Water was 54 degrees and about 15 feet of vis.

Monastery dive video;

Breakwater yesterday had 20-25ft vis. Very calm. 56 degrees. Tons of fish along the wall and just enough nettles to make it interesting.

The sun didn't come out until around noon. I was thinking if you could get an over under shot with the eclipse and sea nettles you would have a pretty cool picture.

If today was any indication of great vis for tomorrow, do go and dive. North Monastery was foggy top side most of the day. Vis underwater on the other hand was epic especially under the kelp. There were many divers underwater. A few divers thought vis was 40' and one said around 40'-50'vis. Vis was best between 25 to 45 depth, got murkier at depth though.

Almost dove the Metridium Fields today...

Dive time: 47 minutes
Max depth: 46 feet
Water temperature: 54F to 86F
Visibility: 5 to 15 feet in shallow water, increasing to about 20feet at about 40 feet depth
Surface conditions: Warm sunny day, Flat seas

The plan was to follow the pipe to the end, then head north to the Metridium Fields. The shallow water viz was poor, so we dropped early and found the pipe---much more exposed than in recent years. When we got to about 30 feet deep my buddy gave my fin a tug and pointed out all the Sea Nettles above us. I haven't seen any for a year or so, so had fun swimming through them shooting video.

When we got to the end of the pipe I shot some more video and was about to head off toward the metridiums when my buddy made it clear the Sea Nettles had been stinging her and we should return. We turned around, heading back along the pipe and in a few minutes I got stung too!!! (First time, for me.) We continued along the pipe for a while, then veered off on a southerly heading surfacing about in the middle of San Carlos Beach.

Did one dive at Pt Lobos today. Even with some tank and regulator snafus, we got kitted up and in the water before it got insanely hot. Super calm on the surface but the kelp is still really thick inside the cove because of which we dropped before the Worm Patch.

I was leading and the plan was to get to the end of Middle Reef and then on to Granite Point Wall. My stellar navigation skills brought us to Lone Metridium instead - to top that off, my buddy told me later that he didn't even see said metridium despite all my pointing and waving. We spent some time at Hole in the Wall on the way back and then returned along the back side of Middle Reef. I continued to display exemplary navigation skills and called an ascent at the far east side of the cove. Hearty congratulations from all involved.

It was actually a really nice dive - lots of large fish specimens were everywhere (kelp greenlings, sheephead, lings and the resident vermillion). Not so good was how many purple urchins were there chowing down on the kelp. Viz was <20ft and greenish-brown in the cove but opened up to 40-50ft of blue water once we got a little deeper.

-> 74ft, 88min, 50F water temp at depth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom