Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pt Lobos was like a pond on Saturday - a welcome change from the wind and swell that's plagued us in the last few weeks. 3 of us from BAUE did a long dive with stages and DPV. The original plan was to hang west from Lone Metridium and head towards Taco and Marco's Pinnacle but the viz was really milky and I wasn't confident navigating in that. We ended up poking around the inner sites on the east and west sides of the cove. I've actually come to enjoy these dives more as you tend to spend more time looking around than just getting somewhere on the trigger. It was low tide and the ramp was slippery AF so that was no bueno.

-> 2hr 3min, 81ft max, 48ft avg, 50F water temp, 25-30ft viz

Video courtesy of one my dive buddies who was testing out a new camera rig.

The Focus light? Diver Dan's

That was lame but made me LOL

The lead tube weights are also from Diver Dan's. They are awesome af as they also move weight a few inches lower on my harness, which I like.

Asking about the lead lol. I’m glad you like them , I machined the mold.

Breakwater Mon/Tues April 29/30 - Did a few dives at Breakwater, conditions were placid with 55 water temp, vis was 15-20, better on Tuesday. Followed the Breakwater wall out quite a ways until we found the line leading to the barge. Made it to the barge and did a couple of laps and returned the same way we came. It looks like good sea conditions will continue for the time being! Had some strobe issues with my camera so did some ambient light wide angle photography. Bottom was literally littered with dollars!
VW6B0046.jpg

Well...it's kinda relative, I got certified in Monterey in 1986 and have never dove the barge so for me it was interesting. It's largely unrecognizable as a vessel but it still sits 1-2 feet off the bottom and about 50 feet long I would guess. You can tell it's man made. Further, the California coast is not on the top 10 lists of wreck diving spots in the world. I thought the barge, or what's left of it, was interesting. The barge is not like the Pomona wreck at Fort Ross, now that one you really have hunt and have an imagination for.

The line leading to it was maybe 10-15 feet off the Breakwater in the sand, so if you are looking for the line, I would stay off the Breakwater. It is anchored in the sand and has algae growing on it so it' kinda camouflaged, but it looks out of place as being a straight line. There are places where it is buried in the sand and you have to lift it up to ensure your heading in the right direction. About 30 feet from the barge, we came across a thinner reel line laid out that appears to also terminate at the same spot as the thicker line we followed. I am not sure where that one starts but it appears to be angled closer to shore than the thicker line. We were on rebreathers and the total time out and back was about 90min. It seemed like forever following the line to the barge and you could tell you were under the boating channel. I would not want to run low on gas and have to surface there. The barge is pretty exposed to boat traffic.

Dove Copper Roof today.

The water was super calm and viz opened up to about 40’, I think it was 55 deg.

Beautiful day in Carmel today, hope it holds out until the weekend!

Dove Copper Roof today.

The water was super calm and viz opened up to about 40’, I think it was 55 deg.

Beautiful day in Carmel today, hope it holds out until the weekend!

Hope so, too! Glad you had a great dive

It was dead calm today and the water was 55 degrees at depth at Pt. Lobos. It was an effortless dive and I got some great video. Not too many fish, though. My scooter worked great. We reached a depth of 43 feet. Vis 40 feet or so. Kelp coming back but still too many urchins. We were diving west of middle reef. (5-3-19.)

Attachments

• Lobos critters 5-3-19.JPG
    Lobos critters 5-3-19.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Lobos kelp 5-3-19.JPG
    Lobos kelp 5-3-19.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Lobos surface 5-3-19.JPG
    Lobos surface 5-3-19.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 88
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back