Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you bring the G15? I was looking at the west wind all week and was hoping for an upwhelling. I'm shooting to get out tomorrow. How were the waves?

Did you bring the G15? I was looking at the west wind all week and was hoping for an upwhelling. I'm shooting to get out tomorrow. How were the waves?
No, I was doing an AOW class and cameras are verboten when teaching.

Today looks even better than yesterday. The seas are calmer than yesterday (now down to 4.2' swells at the Monterey buoy) and the upwelling continues.

MBARI - M1 Contour CTD string Metsys plot - last 30 days tells the whole story. Just look at the correlation between the NW/NNW winds in the chart across the top and the rising cold water in the color-coded chart below the wind report.

BTW, here's the hard data on the two dives we did. I don't think I've ever had AOW students do this well. They stayed right with me the whole time.
dive1.jpgdive2.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have to have you show me how to read that when I come in. If I'm reading it right it looks like the winds are drawing up the cold water as they increase speed. I plan on diving tomorrow. Hopefully good news to report afterward.

Echoing the strong Carmel viz reports. Lobos on Sunday was spectacular. Have never seen it better. We easily had 50 + feet of viz at Granit Point wall. Literally thousands of fish in a very aquarium like dive situation with minimal surge. Saw an enormous salp chain in the sand channel around 77'. I had 48 Oceanic degrees. Some were reporting a bit lower on shore. Makes ya want to call in sick, I'm just sayin.....

Last weekend i was at lobos. Lobos 4 feet vis. Now 50 and I'm stuck working for the next month without a day off. Wow what a way to hurt my feelings.

I think I am coming down with something. Sneeze sneeze.

Dove North and South Monastery today. Wow. 50-60ft vis and blue. North had tons of fish. A big school of blues were in closer to shore. I usually see them around the canyon. Ambient light was amazing. There was a lot of chewed up kelp on the bottom of North. South had the same vis if not a little better. Calmer on this side because of the wind direction. Was going to do a third dive at Breakwater but the wind was howling and it looked surgey. I would estimate vis would have been 10-15 along the wall. Will have some video and pics soon.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73739720@N00/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom