Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did 2 dives at Monestery on Saturday morning. I'd say vis was about 50-60 feet. We did a night dive at Breakwater and vis was about 10-15 feet in spots. We saw loads of sea lions and some kind of nudibranch I haven't seen yet and an octopus.
Sunday we did one dive at Point Lobos. We woke up too late and my buddy's hands were super swollen from his dry suit cuffs. They've never done that before. He said they were painful and very cold to the point of not having feeling. We decided it would be best to let his hands recover rather than doing another dive. Vis at Lobos was about 50-60 feet.

We dove Ballbuster on Saturday. Heavy layer down to 70ft, followed by clear blue water and a bottom current. About a million Young of the Year.

Second dive was Trevors Pinnacle (some boats call it the teeth), two parallel pinnacles in the sand outside of Aumentos. 15-30ft with mating squid and squid eggs.

Larry, was that a night dive or were you just down incredibly deep for the water to be so dark?

Dove Bluefin at Lobos yesterday. Probably 70ft viz, 47 temp. I wish the sun had been out in full force though.
_WUF4003.jpg

Larry, was that a night dive or were you just down incredibly deep for the water to be so dark?

We were at 80-100ft, under a layer. The pictures are dark because even at 1/30 sec., the f7.1 aperture I have to use to keep the corners sharp with a small dome makes for dark pictures at that depth. I might crank up the ISO next time, but if you go too far on that they get grainy. They'd be brighter in Carmel without the green layer blocking out 70' worth of sunshine.

Credible sources are saying vis crashed hard today at Lobos. Any other reports from Carmel or Monterey?

Dove North Monastery today. Aborted after 4 minutes. Vis was less than 10ft and green. I was shocked. Talked to some divers comming out of South Monastery and they said about the same. Talked to 2 divers who dove Lobos today and they had same. Breakwater had 10-15 so did 2 there. It's a sad day when Breakwater has better vis than Monastery.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed in the Lobos vis after expecting epic conditions from reports the past few days. At times it looked shockingly similar to Breakwater weeks ago during its 5ft pea soup phase. Visibility on the route to bluefin cove was blue and beautiful in the shallows near the cliffs, though. Saw a jellyfish, and my first sea lion underwater right by the ramp, so was worth it pea soup or not :)

Here is a link to the conditions at Breakwater. Keep in mind this is better vis than I had at Monastery. It's a video of some Salp but you can see what the water looks like.[video]http://www.flickr.com/photos/73739720@N00/9139288689/in/photostream[/video]

Here is a link to the conditions at Breakwater. Keep in mind this is better vis than I had at Monastery. It's a video of some Salp but you can see what the water looks like.[video]http://www.flickr.com/photos/73739720@N00/9139288689/in/photostream[/video]
When I was at N. Monastery the last time I saw a chain of these things about 5' long. Each individual salp is about 5" long, so the whole thing was huge. Have you identified the species yet?

Back
Top Bottom