Monterey Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey RoyN,

The way I read 'em, none of the above comments weren't meant to be derisive, just trying to help out a relative newbie!

And with my pitiful 11 dives since March, I'm junior to you! Looking forward to getting up to your level. You should see the way I blow through a tank.:D

Hope to see you around.

Randy

BOT...

AndrewJD, thanks for the great videos. I was looking for exactly that a few days ago while laying on my couch hacking up phlegm the consistency of peanut butter.

rhlee:
... back on topic....

Lobos was amazing today. Went out to 3 sisters with Ted and Allison. I'd say 50' horizontal and >50' vertical. A little on the dark side, but lots of rockfish out in the water column, and lots of various jellyfish (yeah, I suck at identifying them).

Cold though. Really really cold. One dive was enough, and then the three of us went over to Otter Bay for new hoods :p

Pictures here:

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/album120

Did you fall asleep in pic 11? :wink: j/k, Thanks for sharing the pics Robert. They're beautiful. If I may ask, what kind of camera are you shooting with?

RoyN:
I thank you all for helping me and it is always welcome. But I will tell you why I am not listening to all here.

What started this whole problem was Ben's choice on referring to someone other then the username. The one thing Ben_ca did was called a "junior." And that was the first post he posted at me and that was my welcome reception. Also it sends me a message that he is probably a cocky person ( not saying he is) and that he has the nerve to degrade me down to by saying the word junior. So in reality, whenever Ben calls me "junior", he is probably asking for trouble.

How can I accept help, suggestions, and advice from others when they call me something out of context like junior instead of my name and expect me to listen? The last time I checked, I DO have a name right?

I don't know why he didn'the refer to that name he made up for me when I first met him, I probably would have told him to knock it off or give him some nasty words back. So in reality, it was Ben who started the fire here and man, what a heck of a fire it started. Anyways, that has taken a toll on me too much, damage has been done, and you guys have made me into a a more difficult man then I am already and I am completely out of here, I get more respect in person then on the internet anyway. PM me if you have questions, concerns, commons, and etc.

Roy I apologize if I have offended you. I meant no harm.

To all sorry for the Hijack... maybe a Mod can clean up.

I have to chime in with a report from inside the bay from yesterday. Sanctuary, two dives: Hopkins Deep Reef and Eric's Pinnacle.

Hopkins deep reef
temp at depth 54
Depth 80

We descended to Hopkins at 8:59 am into vis that opened up at the bottom to about 25 - 35 feet. The huge granite rock pile was covered with large metridiums, and it was fun to swoop down and through the canyons and really see where you're going.
Saw a Leopard Shark resting on a rock.

I talked my buddy into making a 3 min stop at 40' on the way up.

Back on Sanctuary fo SI, and a couple of women on the dive had gotten really very cold. I felt for them as they poured hot water down into their wetsuites. It didn't seem to help, but after an hour ande some they were ready to go back in.

During SI the swell seemed to pick up a bit, and because the wind was out of the west it was blowing the boat so that the swell was hitting us abeam. Someone got seasick with all the picthing side to side.

Other boats, including Monterey Express, were in the bay and we were all sort of competing for spots. Suddenly Sanctuary was on the move to get to Eric's Pinnacle for a nice degassing dive spiralling slowly up the structure.

Eric's Pinnacle
Entry: 11:09 am
depth 57
temp 50

Again vis was excellent even though during the dive some sediment seemed to be getting kicked up, maybe from incoming tide and swell action which continued to increase while we were down. A little colder here, and I could feel my fingers beginning to chill about halfway through the dive.

But conditions were still tremendous, and the specatcle of this big rock pyramid, covered with strawberry anemone, sunflower star, large crabs, and schools of fish was simply overwhelming. My buddy and I had our lights on and the colors that revealed with the light beams were saturated beyond belief. There was not a single sq inch of rock that didn't have some living thing attached to it.

At the bottom there is a sheer wall on what I think is the north face of this mount that had lots of little nooks and crannies which we explored thoroughly.

We did a leisurly spiral, like climbing a long circular staircase up around the structure going leftward around the narrowing pinnacle. Finally at the top there were two little peaks at about 20 ft where we hovered for a safety stop, again taking the time to inspect all the little anemones and other brightly colored thingies festooned all over the rock.

This was my first experience of a great Monterey dive spot in truly fine conditions, and I have to say that it was just unearthly beauty everywhere. It was worth being a little cold near the end to see such a rich marine environment, and this was what has brought me back to Monterey after getting my cert. (I'm one of those new guys who get their cert up here and then people ask, "where are they?") I'll be easy to find up here after a weekend like this one.

Thanks. Using an Olympus point and shoot. If you like those, you should dig around for some of Clinton's or Kawika's pictures. Those will blow your mind.

zen_man:
Did you fall asleep in pic 11? :wink: j/k, Thanks for sharing the pics Robert. They're beautiful. If I may ask, what kind of camera are you shooting with?

We lucked out and scored a reservation for Lobos yesterday. Though the swell was starting to kick up, the vis outside the cove was easily 60+ feet. Unfortunately, I had equipment issues about halfway to Montana and had to turn the dive early, but it was still a great day in the water and I had the chance to meet several nice people. :)

zen_man:

Buck .. His wife says that is all he ever does is SLEEP!!!!!LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom