Monterey Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great to hear that those we braved the swells were treated with some nice diving.

I participated in the Reef Check check-out dives, and we anchored off Hopkins Research Center and Monterey Bay Aquarium. While the first dive of the weekend had 30' viz, last dive of the weekend had 10'. Don't have many pictures since I lost my camera to the ocean on the last dive of the day... I'd like to think that a harbor seal took it, but I was probably clumsy unclipping my clipboard and unclipped my camera at the same time.

Clean-up on the last dive on Saturday. Viz was 4 meters (measured on the tape).
rc_nils.jpg

Ugh- that sucks about the camera Don. Look on the bright side though- at least you were diving. I'd take diving in 10' vis instead cleaning out the garage all weekend any day. :thinkingo

-John

That's true... though my garage needs a serious cleaning. If I don't make some progress during the week, I may have to forgo a diving weekend as well.

Losing a camera does happen, just more annoyed at myself than anything else. Typically I'm very conscientious about clipping and unclipping gear. It was the last dive of the day and I was a little out of it. While the dive went fine, I had a nagging headache from a lack of caffeine intake.

The funny thing is that when I unclipped the slate/clipboard, I explicitly checked that my camera was secure. We conducted the survey, and at the end I wanted to take some video of nilsdiver finishing the kelp count. I reached for the camera, and it was gone. If harbor seals were smart enough to take my camera, I'd at least be happy that it was swiped from me. During the dive, we were constantly gnawed on by a seal. At one point, I had a seal's mouth around my tricep for at least 10 feet of swimming.

Ben_ca:
Roy I apologize if I have offended you. I meant no harm.

You can take your apology and sink it in Monastery Canyon for all I care and that goes the same for everybody here. If you want to help me to become a better diver, talk to me in person at K-dock on Saturday. If you can't get my humor in my stories, don't bother replying then. Don't write essays to me about this and that, that belongs in school. You all live close to me, you can talk to me in person. And thats my final official word in this matter.

Not to get back on topic or anything, but the conditions have been great recently. Rob and I dove Saturday (Lobos), Sunday (in the bay on the Escapade), and Tuesday (Lobos). I posted dive reports for all three days on my blog:

http://coldwaterkitty.blogspot.com/

The relevant posts are "Counting Nudis", "Nudi Diving", and "The Second Sister". Enjoy!

alwaingold:
Not to get back on topic or anything, but the conditions have been great recently. Rob and I dove Saturday (Lobos), Sunday (in the bay on the Escapade), and Tuesday (Lobos). I posted dive reports for all three days on my blog:

http://coldwaterkitty.blogspot.com/

The relevant posts are "Counting Nudis", "Nudi Diving", and "The Second Sister". Enjoy!

Did you had to fight through the kelp on Tuesday? Yangnome and I were there on Monday and the whole place was covered with it and pretty much spent a good half hour mowing the place. Wednesday yesterday cleared up where mobeeno and I were there and condition was right but didn't go out beyond Ganite Point. I don't know where I went other then probably middlereef. Just curious also.

Sorry for that nasty post there, but I'm now going to be a more difficult and up front serious guy in here from now on and no more fun stories, they don't deserve my humor.

RoyN:
Sorry for that nasty post there, but I'm now going to be a more difficult and up front serious guy in here from now on and no more fun stories, they don't deserve my humor.

Hey, that was a short-lived break from SB. Welcome back, and good luck with the new tough-guy thing.

Yea, the kelp has really grown in at Lobos. Makes the surface swim out a bit of a pain. But the upside is that underwater, all the kelp looks awesome. I especially like swimming through the really dark parts of the kelp forest where the canopy blocks out most of the light. Very eery :)

Well, not really eery in swimming in the dark spots, when the light shines through the dark spots, thats where the true beauty shows. And thats the beauty of it of just flying through a forest but unlike the forest here on the surface, on the bottom sea here is deeming with interverbrates and fishes floating by, saw my first sheephead from a shore dive, usually I would see them when diving on the Beach hopper 2. The only thing I can't stand is the kelp leaves has so much holes like a swiss cheese.

Back
Top Bottom