Montevideo- Recommendations???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hope you find something and post it here Mike. I can't find much on the net. I am interested in visiting Panama and Uruguay . . . probably Montevideo . . . myself next year. Good diving.

Michael

Hi Mike,

Did you finally dive in Uruguay? Any recommendations? I travel to Montevideo about every 6 weeks but have not tried diving yet in Uruguay. Thanks

Hey Nami,

No luck. I just didn't have time to make it work on the trip. There is supposed to be a really cool wreck accessible from Montevideo but I didn't get far in terms of research. I googled dive operations there but that's it. I'd love to hear if you discover any good operations.

Mike

Hi,
I doubt that you can dive near Montevideo. There the sea is mixing with the river and its all muddy.

There are many wrecks, even a famous German boat from WWII, but they are sinking in the mud with no visibility at all.

I know first hand, I used to live in Buenos Aires and spend lots of time sailing around Montevideo.

You must go up the coast to ge some diving, perhaps in Maldonado or in Punta del Este. Google give me this link:
http://www.octopus.eco.com.uy/

While I was living there we just travel to get some diving. You can try Bombhinias in Brazil or Puerto Madryn in Argentina.

Im living in Chile now and we have here really good places to dive.

Matias

Hey Nami,

No luck. I just didn't have time to make it work on the trip. There is supposed to be a really cool wreck accessible from Montevideo but I didn't get far in terms of research. I googled dive operations there but that's it. I'd love to hear if you discover any good operations.

Mike

Just got back from Montevideo/Punta Del Este and took the opportunity to ask around about the diving. As Matias mentions above - there seems to be no diving near Montevideo but some near Punta del Este which is about a 2 hour drive up north to the Maldonado coast. However, diving is done only in summer (January) and crossing over to a little island to dive with sea lions. I have not heard about any dive operators that actually go there regularly even during summer time. Still, Uruguay's east coast has wonderful beaches so even if no diving is available, the ocean is beautiful to swim in.

I am going to be in Montevideo in about 3 weeks. Doesn't sound like there is much diving in the area, and it will be winter, but any idea what the water temperatures would be?

I am going to be in Montevideo in about 3 weeks. Doesn't sound like there is much diving in the area, and it will be winter, but any idea what the water temperatures would be?

It really depends what site you are swimming/diving. Montevideo's water is not the ocean but the Rio de Plata Delta (river) and winter water temp. are usually around 70F. If you drive up more north on the east coast you will hit the Atlantic Ocean and temps are a bit colder 65-69F. It is also windier and colder weather. There is really no diving during winter nor would I recommend getting into the water for swimming. Yes for surfing/kitesurfing with a wetsuit. Hope you enjoy Montevideo!

Though it's six years old, this discussion was one of a handful of search results for "uruguay diving" a couple of weeks back when I started planning my trip to Montevideo. I'm really glad I didn't stop here because I eventually found a fun dive opportunity and it was amazing. Below is all the information I have gathered.

I dove with what I believe is the only ongoing dive operation in Uruguay: Scubadivers Uruguay - Escuela/Operadora de Buceo.
They are based in Punta Del Este and apparently they do a fair amount of training dives there but the water conditions are so bad that most fun dives they offer are as organized trips abroad.

Nevertheless, they do have one fun dive opportunity in Punta Del Este. It's only on weekends from December to March and only when water conditons allow. They head to Lobos Island, which hosts a huge colony of sealions (probably a thousand individuals). Divers descend to a depth of about five meters and dozens of curious and playful sealions come and swim around us. It's quite an amazing experience. If you're in Uruguay and never dove with sea lions before, I strongly recommend it.

Uruguayan Here, and indeed.

I got certified here, and visibility is really crappy. That said, the lobos island dive is amazing. the sea lions play around you and you have an awesome time.

i got certified with Octopus Diving uruguay, and the Instructor is great and knowleadgeable, and i know he organizes the lobos island trip from Dec to March every year.

happy to answer any questions you have on my beautiful country :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom