More Deep 6 Signature reg questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
How does the Deep 6 faceplate attach to the main reg body?
If its not a screw down type them how is it removed, is it a tight fit to put good compression on the diaphragm margin?
Also, how does the weight of the second stage compare with something like Hog D1/Zenith?

The faceplate is a single 'module' of sorts that is the frame, purge button, and retaining ring all in one. The retaining ring component clips together with the faceplate to hold the purge button in between. This module screws on and applies direct pressure to the diaphragm to hold it in place and seal, and locks into position.

Second stage weight balances well underwater, you would have to ask @cerich for more details if you wanted a comparison. The D1 was a first stage, not a second, I would assume you meant the classic?

@LandonL D1's a first, Zenith is a second :wink:

Difference in weight between the Zenith and Signature 2nd is minimal... My Zenith's are disassembled right now- I'll get them together tomorrow and weigh them both if you'd like, though I'm pretty sure you wouldn't physically be able to tell a difference in the weight just by diving them or holding them on land.

Edit: I went ahead and assembled the Zenith now- Dry weights are:

Zenith: 285g
Signature: 270g

The biggest difference isn't really the weight- it's the performance. Signature's air delivery is much smoother when compared to the Zenith (or any other reg) thanks to the turbine poppet.

So, I finished servicing my Zenith's (which is why they were taken apart in the first place) and took them into the pool to test the rebuild. Turns out, I immediately noticed a difference in weight underwater- the Zenith pulled on my mouth significantly more than my Signatures. The barrel / locking nut on the Zenith is heavier than the Signature's, so I guess it makes sense.

I think it's worth noting that, while I noticed a definitive difference, I probably only noticed it because I dive my Signatures almost exclusively. The last time my Zenith's saw water was about 4 years ago. If you're diving the Zenith's on a regular basis, you'll notice it too. However, if you've only tried them a few times in the past and decide to try our Signature, you probably won't think much about the difference in weight.

Best,
Bill

Try switching seconds with each other, 1/2 oz isn’t much difference.

Try switching seconds with each other, 1/2 oz isn’t much difference.

Like I said, when you dive them side by side, you'll notice the difference. If not intimately familiar with one or the other and / or have a long interval between diving the two, you probably won't notice. The difference is minor, but it is definitely present. I was shocked I could notice it so well. That said- the difference in weight alone isn't significant enough to validate purchasing the Signature Series if you already own a Zenith.

Best,
Bill

Like I said, when you dive them side by side, you'll notice the difference. If not intimately familiar with one or the other and / or have a long interval between diving the two, you probably won't notice. The difference is minor, but it is definitely present. I was shocked I could notice it so well. That said- the difference in weight alone isn't significant enough to validate purchasing the Signature Series if you already own a Zenith.

Best,
Bill
Just curious about hose and routing difference effect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom