More Egyptian Woes As Aircraft Is Hijacked

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John A Lewis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
No one was hurt, but it is a blow that continues to harm a reeling Egyptian tourism industry and the businesses that serve it--including dive operations.

Dive centers in the region are closing at a high rate
as the influx of tourists--and their money--has significantly slowed since the crash of a Russian jetliner about five months ago. The cause of that crash has still not been formally acknowledged by Egypt.

EgyptAir Plane Hijacked in Blow to Struggling Egypt Tourism

My heart sinks for the Egyptians relying on tourism, already so devastated and now because of this idiot things could become even worse. Hopefully, people will let this incident slide. And book early, book often! Go read what FinnMom said about her very recent trip. You know you want to go!

Last edited:
I assume the hijacker had a ticket from Alexandria to Cairo and boarded the plane normally. His claim to have explosives turned out to be false. This could happen anywhere, it does not cast doubt on security.

This could happen anywhere, it does not cast doubt on security.

I agree, and in a reasonable world you would be correct.

Indeed... the many great Egyptians I met were suffering from the actions of the violent few in some areas. I visited Cairo, Luxor and spent most of my time diving the Red Sea. Yes, there are places where safety is a factor. We had armed guards in Cairo and one in Luxor but never felt threatened. The region of the Red Sea we visited (between Hurghada and Marsa Alam) was quiet.

Dr. Bill, my friends and I booked our trip today, we're still trying to figure out which tours and/or how long at each. How long did you have at Luxor? Would you have wanted more?

Hi chilly,

My wife and I did 10 tour days on a trip to Egypt in early February. This included 2 days in Cairo and 8 days on a boat between Luxor and Aswan. I'm not sure what is available to you to add on to your liveaboard trip. The Aggressor has advertised stays in Luxor and Cairo. If this may be your only trip to Egypt, I would try to not miss seeing some of the country and the magnificent historic sites.

I would spend 2 days in Cairo to see the Citadel of Salah al Din/Alabastar Mosque (Mosque of Muhammad Ali), the Egyptian Museum on Tahrir Square (the new Grand Egyptian Museum opening is delayed until 2018 or later), the Pyramids of Giza/Great Sphinx, Saqqara and Memphis. If only 1 day, you could do the Giza plateau.

I would spend a minimum of 2 days in Luxor to see Temple of Karnak, Temple of Luxor, Temple of Hatshepsut, Valley of Kings/Queens.

Actually, the best tour we did was of Abu Simbel, Temple of Ramesses II and Temple of Nefertari. This site was relocated in 1964-7 after the completion of the High Aswan Dam. Unfortunately, the day visit is a flight to and from Aswan (probably could be done from Luxor), as it is in the very south of Eqypt. These temples are incredible.

I'm headed back to Egypt last week of April to do my 2 weeks of liveaboard separately, before I move back to the US from Switzerland this summer.

Thanks very much scubadada. I'm concerned that we won't have enough time to get down to Aswan. Did you do that with Aggressor as well?

Good to hear you're going back again soon. :)

Thanks very much scubadada. I'm concerned that we won't have enough time to get down to Aswan. Did you do that with Aggressor as well?

Good to hear you're going back again soon. :)

The trip I described was separate from diving. The entire trip, land and boat, was arranged through Uniworld. We had several other boat stops and visits between Luxor and Aswan that were in neither of these cities. Aswan is nice but less historic sites. Philae Temple is very good, also moved due to the dam. I would pass on seeing the high dam itself. The best part of Aswan was the visit to Abu Simbel. If you're going to miss one of Cairo, Luxor, and Aswan, it should be Aswan, though I would try to get to Abu Simbel.

The trip is not uncomplicated. I don't know how you're getting to your Red Sea liveaboard but the add on trips would require flights from Hurghada (maybe Marsa Alam) to Luxor, then to Cairo, then ? home. We flew to and from Basel, through London to Cairo on British Air and then flew EgyptAir from Cairo to Luxor and back and from Aswan to Abu Simbel and back. EgyptAir was first rate in every way.

Feel free to PM me with questions. Our visit to Egypt was one of the best and most interesting vacations we have ever taken.

Good luck, Craig

I just posted a TR on our recent Egypt Expedition.

The press just loves to blurt out "see I told you so, Egyptian security at the airports sucks". Nothing could be further from the truth. The operative word here is that the guy had a fake bomb. Yes it should have been caught, but how do you check against a false positive... I think he would of gotten past almost any screening.
  • All baggage is scanned, Id & tix checked at the outside doors of the terminals, ie something that could of prevented the Brussels bombs from being so bad.
  • They are again checked at the check-in desk.
  • They are again checked at another screening to the waiting area. Nearly everyone is thoroughly frisked, (I believe I'll be having a baby soon).
And this was true of the smaller airports as well as in Cairo.
I have to say I felt quite safe there, more so than a lot of airports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom