More Female than Male Divers in Japan? T or F?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This is a serious question rather than my usual frivolous fluff, so I hope it will be received as such.

I have heard that female divers outnumber males in Japan. First, I wonder if this is true. Second, if true does anyone have any theories on why it might be? I have thought of the Ama pearl diving tradition in Japan, but that's just a guess.

Over the past 40 years I've watched as the gender mix in America starts to even out a bit. This is an issue I'm interested in since I prefer diving with female buddies. And no, not for the obvious reasons (although they can be compelling)... more for the better understanding of relatedness (whether in the buddy relationship or in ecological relationships).

By the way, if you don't wish to take this as a serious inquiry and wish to post a humorous follow-up, I can always use a laugh as well!

Dr. Bill

Most of the JUE divers were at the Japan version of DEMA this weekend and we commented on the same thing. From what I have seen I would say it is true. I don't know why maybe Matt or Thomas knows why. It sure explains the large amount of pink dive gear, hell I've even seen pink jet fins and the girl was wearing a hood with ears on the top of in like a rabbit.

I'd say about 4 for every 1 guy - now if we could just get the same amongst the international community :eyebrow:

One theory I have is sales tactics as described to me by one shop owner/instructor (who I must point out does not use this). They employ "hunks" to canvas the girls in shinjuku and shibuya (big shopping areas in Tokyo) to get the girls into the shop - they are allowed to try just about anything as long as they come in the shop an pay for the course and all their SAS or TUSA equipment in advance - about $5,000 worth! (Apparently the Love Hotels do quite good business from them!)

Also might be partly to do with all the career girls living at home with lots of disposable income - a girl can only have so much Prada and Luis Vuitton apparently!!

When ya coming over then?!

Very interesting. Based on the stereotypes I have grown up with, I would have expected the opposite. And I would have expected more women divers in America than there are given the greater equality (but not yet equal) in lifestyles and income here.

Jonathan... if the sales tactics you describe are part of the reason, I would expect that many of the women who get certified do not continue to dive very long afterwards. Any data to suggest how long women divers continue with the sport there?

While it is well known that I prefer Asian women, and would love to find a woman who would become my ultimate dive buddy, the question was posed with a sincere interest in what I deem an unusual sociological phenomenon.

By the way, Xiaoyan and I didn't hit it off so my trip to Tokyo is a long shot these days. Of course the interest in visiting is still there. Hmmm, wonder if there is a market for my DVD's in Japan???

Dr. Bill

Well Dr. Bill, the males of Japan are so regimented in their studies all the way through college that very few of them develop any sense of athletic ability. Plus it's almost universal for the men to smoke as part of the business culture, and that sure doesn't help your aerobic capacity.
I must have taken 10,000 Japanese people on intro dives in Hawaii, and the women were OVERWHELMINGLY much more comfortable and easier to work with in the water than the Japanese men. Women have time to play team sports in Japan while they're in school, plus as plain old surface swimmers, most of them could swim circles around the men.
One thing about the men is that it's ok for Asian men to hold hands with other men and it's not gay. Well, sometimes it is, but pretty much not. So when they panicked underwater, I could hold their hands and calm them down. It's like a universal sign of rescue to squeeze a panicky person's hand. There were a lot of American dive instructors who couldn't handle that though - must have been a few latent issues out there I guess.
You state that you prefer Asian women. I have met in my short life some truly epochal Asian women in Hong Kong and Japan - brilliant, exquisitely beautiful, charming, cultured, athletic - and damn, I couldn't get within 5 feet of any of 'em except for one TV star and her mom who were both 18 inches shorter than me. It's hard to dance with someone resting their feet on your knees on the dance floor. Nice to know they're out there though.

drbill:
Jonathan... if the sales tactics you describe are part of the reason, I would expect that many of the women who get certified do not continue to dive very long afterwards. Any data to suggest how long women divers continue with the sport there?
Well not all the women on the beaches are in their early twenties - though I find it hard to tell between 20 and about 45 out here - but most are :crafty:

I've met a couple of very good Japanese female divers and it is a real eye opener when they do the same two dives as me when I use 2 12l tanks and they use a single 10l for both dives! They are probably the exceptions as most of the rest of them follow the herd mentality.

Diving is huge out here. And most of the equipment sold is not any good for anything but the pool. Massive potential market - so go for it TJO がんばってね!

In the good old days the cert numbers for PADI Japan was some crazy number like 80% women at one point. I think it is still about 60%, but do not have current figures.

However, I would estimate 80% of my customers are men...

Many women who dive are certified in Hawaii, Guam, Saipan, warm water locations. The real divers get certified in Izu and dive throughout the year.

I have met a lot of women divers on my tours, most great on air, but not many great divers.

P.S. I would estimate over half of the Japanese instructors (men and women) I have met are smokers.

YMMV,

Seems like down in Okinawa most of the mainland tourists are female. Sure makes the dive sites more enjoyable to see above water.

Mar Scuba:
Many women who dive are certified in Hawaii, Guam, Saipan, warm water locations. The real divers get certified in Izu and dive throughout the year.

Matt, I'm going to take the warm water crack personally. Maybe some people have CHILLYPHOBIA. The fear of chilly water! Yep, that's me....26 degrees or less...brrrr.....

I'm going to guess about 70% of the Japanese divers are women. My theory is their culture with meeting people sometimes gets in the way. It is a great way to meet people. I say this because most of my students who are divers are women and most of them are single and looking.

On any given weekend in the summer, one could sit on the beach and count hundreds of female divers. It is very interesting.

Here is another observation. Nurses!!! I would say that from the nurses that I have taught English too, at least 70% of them were divers! Usually single as well. Life as a nurse in Japan is codemning themselves to being single forever. Can you believe it? Some of the nicest, most beautiful women I have ever met, were nurses who dive.

Nurses schedules have a lot to do with being single. I believe Japanese men want a wife to be home for them on a regular basis. I'm not blasting Japanese men, but then again, this is the 21st Century.

Just my two yen.

Chris

PS, Matt, what is the temp in Izu now? brrrrrrr.....

Universal Diver:
Here is another observation. Nurses!!!

Now that you mention - yeah! You're right a lot of them are nurses. But also a lot I've met are arty types - artists, marketing etc

Back
Top Bottom