More Manatees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Jewell

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi Again,

Here's a photo of a mother and calf.

Photo Equipment:

Nikonos IV-A
Nikkor-UW 28 mm lens
Kodak 100 ASA Color Film

Look how clear that water is!

The water in Blue Springs is like glass.

It is a really nice spring.

Peter Doege

I had planned on heading over there this weekend. I've got 2 disposable cameras I want to use. Maybe one there and one at Crystal River.

Did you use Scuba at all on the trip? I heard the head spring was nothing more than a hole in the ground, and not worth the walk. How long were you there?

Excellent photos, really good vis. Where are these springs located in respect to Crystal River? Any more photos?

First, I want to thank everyone that responded to my manatee photos. If you want to read a full report about my day at Blue Springs please visit the Florida Conch Diver section of the forum.

Dr. Jay, in response to your questions, I snorkeled the entire time. My equipment consisted of mask, fins, snorkel, 5mm booties, a 3mm jumpsuit and a 3mm beenie. The sound of the bubbles from open circuit disturb the manatees.

I would estimate my total in water time with the manatees was 3 hours, observing and photographing. I shot about 80 frames of film.

The water leading from the diver entry point to the head spring is between 4 - 5 feet deep. Most of my photos were taken in this area.

Once you get to the head spring the bottom funnels down to the cavern enterence; I'd say about 15 - 20 ft below the surface. The enterence has several large tree branches lying across it. The cavern itself is a shaft that goes down 110 ft. Divers that are not cavern or cave certified are not allowed to carry lights and are not suppose to go below 60 ft. To dive the spring you have to show proof or certification at the front gate and have your gear inspected by one of the rangers.

As to your question Mapman, Blue Springs is located on West French Avenue in Orange City, about 5 miles south of Deland on 17-92.

I'm planning another trip to Blue Springs this Wednesday (2/05/03). I'll probably shoot another 80 to 100 frames of film. Boy! I really need that housed digital SLR with a 1 gig. CF or 1 gig microdrive.

Those are really nice clear photos - well done.

I'm yet to swim snorkel or dive with manatees or dugongs, so i'm green with envy! :eek:ut:

Back
Top Bottom