More Olympus E-PL1 U/W Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great shots but I love the little octopus int he bottle!

Phil -- were these all shot manual, Ap priority, ? What settings?

I leave tomorrow for Monterrey with my new outfit and certainly hope I get some nice shots.

Hi Phil!
I am considering buying Oly housing to use it with Inon flash. It looks like Oly has a cpecific FO cord which connects to the housing. Do you know if the plain FO (like Inon) could be connected?
Thank and GREAT Pictures!

Peter,

The images were shot in manual, which is about all I use. ISO-200, 1/160th (images with blue water background 1/60th, at F-9 to F-14 using the ring flash. I would be using the same settings as a starting point with twin Inon Z-240's or S-2000 strobes. I have also used the Olympus UFL-2's (a pair) with the same starting settings. A single strobe of like power would also work in this range.

Niki,

The housing comes with two optical port plugs which can be used with the bare fiber cord or can be removed and used with the cords that have a plug on the end. Once the fiber cord is pushed into the port plug the side pushed into the housing needs to be snipped off so that the light can pass through into the fiber cord.

Same port plugs as the photo below,

Phil Rudin

Attachments

• -110673.jpg
    -110673.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 174
Phil, Thanks.

I'm using an Inon D2000 with my housing. I just drilled out the holes in the plugs and pushed the Inon F.O. cable into the plug and put it back into the receptor. Seems to work just fine.

Phil...not to coop your thread... ;-)

But a couple of notes on this setup:

Figure on buying the 9-18, there's no comparison with the 14-42 kit lens.

Zen has announced a dome port for the 9-18 lens that will fit the bayonet mount of the Oly housing. Use of which may violate the mgf's warranty...BUT it's glass, 170mm and priced at $499.

10Bar is working on the final revisions (I called in a few the other night... ;-) ) on their new aluminum housing that comes with a semi-dome port that fits the 14-42 and 9-18. Latest revs will feature screw on sync cord holders (aka Nauticam), button height adjustments and a new external macro lens flip down holder. Port for 17mm is available, ports also support Panasonic lenses. Production housings should be out in a week or so at $930-1069 depending on 1 or two ports packages.

Here's a few shot at 9mm with the semi dome (2x YS110a strobes):

4626026420_6c311372e5.jpg

4626026940_12e12413fe.jpg

4625421603_2740492069.jpg

Jack

Hi Phil, thanks for the reply. I supose that a lot will depend on the sensitivity of a strobe's input circuit and at what intensity point on the input flash/signal ramp up/down it switches on/off. I shall use the usual empirical approach and see what works best. Cheers, John.

Hi Jack,

I agree that the 9 to 18 zoom is an outstanding choice for wide angle with a dome port. The new Zen port is actually a 100 mm optical glass coated port of the highest quality made with the same curvature as the Olympus/Athena 170 mm glass port I believe. I would think that the 17 mm and Pany 20 mm would also work in this dome. It will be very cool if the Pany 7 to 14 can be used with an extension ring.

Regarding the Olympus warranty it appears to me that they all read about the same and would be voided on any Olympus housing used with an after market port that could have caused a flood.

The port that comes with the PT-EP01 housing works well with the Pany 45 macro along with the 14 to 42 zoom. I am sure an 8 mm fisheye dome would sell as well when that lens is released.

Hi John,

I shoot a fiber optic cord in manual all the time with the strobe pop-up flash power set at 1/64th power and it never fails to fire.

Phil Rudin

Phil...not to coop your thread... ;-)

But a couple of notes on this setup:

Figure on buying the 9-18, there's no comparison with the 14-42 kit lens.

Zen has announced a dome port for the 9-18 lens that will fit the bayonet mount of the Oly housing. Use of which may violate the mgf's warranty...BUT it's glass, 170mm and priced at $499.

10Bar is working on the final revisions (I called in a few the other night... ;-) ) on their new aluminum housing that comes with a semi-dome port that fits the 14-42 and 9-18. Latest revs will feature screw on sync cord holders (aka Nauticam), button height adjustments and a new external macro lens flip down holder. Port for 17mm is available, ports also support Panasonic lenses. Production housings should be out in a week or so at $930-1069 depending on 1 or two ports packages.

Here's a few shot at 9mm with the semi dome (2x YS110a strobes):

4626026420_6c311372e5.jpg

4626026940_12e12413fe.jpg

4625421603_2740492069.jpg

Jack
Hi Jack,
Could you outline the entire rig you used in these shots?

Thanks!

I used:

10Bar EPL1 Housing with std semi dome port.
Oly E-PL1 + 9-18 lens set at 9mm.
2x S&S YS-110a strobes set on TTL, two f/o cords
Optical Ocean S-Tray + 7+4" arms

Please be aware, these were taken in a controlled environment, filtered water, tame fish.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom