More Olympus E-PL1 U/W Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, those are some of the best E-PL1 photos I have seen. I seem to lean more to the Pany GF1 images. Would you expect any real IQ differences with the Oly case?

jb

If you look at the DP Review tests on both cameras they give a very slight edge to the E-PL1 in both raw and jpeg, if any of us can tell the difference between images from both cameras using the same lens or like lenses I would be very surprised.

Phil Rudin

Would you expect any real IQ differences with the Oly case?

jb

You may have been addressing only Phil. If so, sorry to butt in. From what I have read and images I have seen, if you shoot jpeg, Oly has better colors. Raw, no visible difference between cameras...pick a brand based on the control layout, menu options, features and housing you prefer.

Hi jd950,
I was not looking to create another debate about Oly vs Panny cameras. I have typically preferred the images out of the GF1 and I was amazed at the IQ that Jack had in his post with the E-PL1 with the 9-18. Just a personal preference.... however those images have me reconsidering my future plans.

The flexibility of the semi-wide with a wet macro sounds great. I really don't want to have to plan what lens to put on a camera before the dive.

Thanks everyone.
jb

There really isn't much debate, at least for underwater purposes. The camera bodies are more alike than different and both the Panasonic and Olympus lenses are quite good. I would choose the housing I want and then get camera body and lenses to match that housing and available ports.

I will be getting my GF-1 in the water soon.

Hi jd950,
Thanks for the comment. What are you using for your GF1?

jb

Hi jd950,
Nevermind, I saw from your postings on Panasonic Planet you are using the Seatool housing. Looks nice.

jb

Last edited:
Phil - great photos. I have recently bought a PL1 with PT housing and hope to get into the water with it soon. I only have a UFL-1 strobe, but I will see how it goes. Perhaps it is just me, but I think that the camera flash and the two housing optical ports are not quite in alignment - the ports are too far apart I think. The left hand one (nearest the zoom wheel) gives a stronger output than the other so the ttl (using a fibre cable) varies between the ports. Do you have any thoughts on this? John.

I realize this thread is a bit old but I also have a problem with the the optical ports. The 2 ports are too far apart. The left (with the external guard) is not too bad (and works okay) but the right is so far out of alignment (too far to the right or center of housing) as to be unreliable. The right port is actually in line with the edge of the pop-up flash and not in line with the flash tube. This causes the right port to either not fire the strobe or not work correctly as TTL (the turn off pulse is blocked). Anyone else have this problem?

Back
Top Bottom